Peavey Invective Crackle and Noise

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Damnati

Peavey Invective Crackle and Noise

Post by Damnati » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:07 am

Hi Guys,

i have a problem with background noise on my amplifier.

You can hear strong scratching and sizzling on recordings.

I then took a closer look at the amp and first came across a V1 microphone tube. I then replaced all the preamp tubes. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem. Then I checked whether the power amp tubes were set correctly. The grid voltage was set to 23mV (23mA) and the V10 tube only ran at 19.8 mV. That means a tube is not matched. I then increased the grid voltage to 26mV. Background noises are still there.

Then I swapped the two middle tubes with the two outer ones and operated the AMP in Half Power mode so that I can switch off the one that didn't fit. Unfortunately, that did not do any good either.

Then I played around with the gain and noticed that it gets stronger the more I turn up the gain.

The background noises sound like that of an old vinyl record.

Then I watched a couple of videos on Youtube and was able to hear the background noise in the following video. So it doesn't seem to be a problem specifically with my AMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCxhVDWx9EU&t=1309s

Can someone help me with this problem?

Best regards

Keolah

Re: Peavey Invective Crackle and Noise

Post by Keolah » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:25 pm

I'm no amp tech first of all but I wonder...is this noise in the crunch and lead channels? The lead channel even with gain at 3 is already pretty noisey. Just kind of derivative of a monster high gain amp. All in the 5150 lineage have it. If the clean channel lacks hiss especially that would be my take on it. The Invective has a ton of gain. Awesome!

A noise gate in the loop will make it dead quiet. I never use one. I'm accustomed to the hiss as it doesn't come through on recordings for me and is unnoticeable at live volumes. But maybe that's an option for you.

I'd suggest getting it to an amp tech. I know that sucks but the Invective dialed in by an a great tech will absolutely kill.

Good luck!!!😁

Damnati

Re: Peavey Invective Crackle and Noise

Post by Damnati » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 am

I'm really sorry to have to tell you that I can differentiate between broken and AMP noise. The noise appears after weeks of use ...