Picked up used Tube 60 - Need Refresher

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Kernel

Picked up used Tube 60 - Need Refresher

Post by Kernel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 pm

Can someone help please... I just picked up a used Tube 60 and I know that it is on v 1.58 of the firmware via holding preset 1 +4 at boot (Bypass, B-Kat, Flanger).

I don't have a Sanpera II yet (on its way) so I cannot confirm the factory reset worked or not (based on the FAQ, preset 1 + 2 at boot).

I have tried to turn on the light show (preset 3 + 4 at boot) but it is not coming on. I'm curious if this could be because of firmware 1.58 implementing the cab swaps with preset buttons? And how does one know which of the cab presets is selected at boot - is it just an assumption based on which preset you held at boot? :)

Lastly, what is considered the most stable firmware? The last one on the Peavey page or perhaps one of the betas?

Thanks!

dalrymple

Re: Picked up used Tube 60 - Need Refresher

Post by dalrymple » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am

First thing first; Dont mess with the firmware if the amp works now. Dont do it. Repeat. Dont change the firmware if the amp works.
Why? it might lock up and become totally worthless. This is truly a case of "If it works, DONT fix it!" Flashing lights are irrelevant. Once you plug in they stop flashing anyhow.

If it all works, you might want to try out some phase inverter tube swaps, go for KT66's in the power section, and select the voicing you prefer. Beyond that, every time you mess with the software, you put the amp at risk.

Best amp I have ever owned. Have a blast.
Dalrymple

barber76

Post by barber76 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 am

2 Kernel. I don't quite get your concern about the light show, if all works. But if it bothers you, then:
If you turn up the amp without guitar cable plugged in, and not holding any preset buttons, is it on? It should be the case.
I never tried to turn on the amp while holding of the presets 3 & 4 simultaneously. But I know, that if you turn it on, holding on one - any - preset (for voicing swap), the light show won't start.

Kernel

Post by Kernel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:21 am

I was just curious why it was not working, but apparently it's because I have the cable plugged in.

Just making sure it's operating as expected is all. You never know what you are going to get when buying from ebay :) i.e. there could be hidden damage or repairs (like a broken and glued knob) that was not mentioned. The input jack was super loose on this one but otherwise it's pretty pristine from what I can tell thus far.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:31 am

You are about to become Vypyryzed.
Enjoy the ride.
Dalrymple

Kernel

Post by Kernel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Oh I've already owned a Tube 60... sold it a few years back and decided I wanted the sound again. So yeah, I agree it's a great amp. Wish I never sold my original one.