VIP 2 suddenly silent

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Tenorlord

VIP 2 suddenly silent

Post by Tenorlord » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 pm

I'm playing through my VIP 2 in my small studio, not too loud, enjoying the sound, when the amp suddenly falls silent and all the lights go off! I turn it off, turn it back on, nothing. I unplug it and inspect what I can. Looks OK. I plug it back in and the lights start cycling through a demo. (nothing plugged into the input) I plug in the guitar, the lights settle down and it looks ready to go. But SILENCE! A couple of random noises come from the speaker softly, but no "sound". I try the phone jack and the sound will come out of there. All seems well up to that point. Even my settings are still there. But nothing is coming out of the speaker! I disconnect the speaker leads and tie in a monitor speaker. Silence again! So, it's not the speaker. I begin disassembly and have a look inside. Nothing looks burnt on the circuit boards. First suspect is the amplifier board that has thick yellow and blue wires going to the speaker.
Vypyr2.jpg
Vypyr2.jpg (566.04 KiB) Viewed 11141 times
Should I replace that? I can find it on the Full Compass website. BUT, what if it's really the power board, and the amplifier simply isn't getting any power, even though the signal processor board and the rest are?

Question: How do I test which board to replace?

Question: Is something else the problem?

Thank you for your responses.

rogue777

Re: VIP 2 suddenly silent

Post by rogue777 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Doesn't seem to make much sense why it failed. From the schematic the phone jack output is close to the DSP bd output, labeled preamp out. In my thinking this would go to the pwr amp section which drives the speakers. See schematics:

http://zorkmids.com/?p=384

What I'd do, I'd put it all back together and exercise some of the inter-connect cable connections that connect the bds. Unhooking them and then re-connecting them. This process kind of resets the electrical connection between the bds. Maybe it just developed a bad signal connection somewhere and nothing is really failed.

Any bd-level troubleshooting, I'd start with verification of the pwr supply voltages, are present. Like the pwr-amp needs the +/- 18V for U5, U6,
and that would go back to the interconnect cables.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm

And by "exercise" you mean wiggle the wires? While it's powered up to see if the speaker pops a bit?
The connectors are buried beneath glops of caramel colored rubbery goo, that seems hard to remove.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm

No, I don't mean wiggle the wires. Not while its powered-on either.
It’s the metal-to-metal contact point in the end connector that gets reset, sort to speak, by unplugging it and then reconnect it.
(Where the gold pins are, male and female connections).

You removed the power amp bd, and on that board are the two plugin connections, from the picture.
(Thanks for that great picture by the way).
One from the DSP bd and the other from the Power Supply I believe.

I was thinking of the two plugin connectors in the picture at least, from what I can see.
Don't try to remove any connection that you think is too hard to remove. Just taking the pwr-amp bd. out is enough.
The reason I suggested this is becacuse it was a sudden failure, and I was thinking of a maybe poor electrical connection.
Besides calling Peavey customer-service for advice? Perhaps a local amp tech can help, or Peavey will repair the amp.

Have you put it back together and tried it again? Did you do a factory reset on it?
I'd like to read some happy endings of peoples amps that failed on them, and then somehow they worked.
The only way to try to troubleshoot this is as a system. All the boards work together.
Those connectors that were unplugged from the amp-board supply signals and pwr supply voltages for each bd to work.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 am

The picture was from the web. From the Full Compass website, where you can buy a new board. Though I exposed the boards, I didn't disconnect anything, leaving everything in place.
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (429.19 KiB) Viewed 11077 times
This one is mine, still in place. I don't see any hotspots either.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 pm

When you use the headphone jack the speaker is muted.
There could be something wrong with your headphone jack.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm

AHA! Not quite sure how to test this theory yet, but good thinkin'!!!

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:59 am

Tapping on connectors and tiny phones plug box with plastic pen produced no crackle from speaker.
Wiggling the phones plug produced no sound from the speaker either.

Connected speaker to alternate source, and it responded, so I don't think it's burned out.

Should I just purchase a new amp board?

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:19 pm

If you think it’s the pwr Amp bd, only one way to find out. Buy it and put it in.
Did you try to contact Peavey Customer Support.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 am

Googling Peavey and support brought me here. I found no other site helpful.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:48 pm

I took it to a repair guy, and he verified that the headphone jack was not the problem, but could not offer a new path to investigate. Any ideas?

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 pm

I sent for a new Amp board from Full Compass and installed it. Reassembled it and tried it out. It worked beautifully! Nothing wrong.......for two weeks!! Then it failed in a new way. This time, all the lights went off and the speaker started making a soft pup...pup...pup sound. So, I'm thinking maybe it's the power supply board now, and it has a fuse on it. Disassembly ensues. The fuse appears to be good, and passes juice, according to my mulitmeter. Now what? Replace that board too? Didn't Peavey get their reputation by handling this stuff?

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Now what?
Don’t think,,,,, it’s’ time to measure.

Power supply:
There’s only three DC voltage’s to verify. +8, and +/- HV, which looks like +/- 18V. Hook multimeter blk to pwr supply ground, and the red lead to a power supply test point. Set to measure DC volts, you could also ck the AC ripple on the same tp’s if needed. See schematic.

Power Amp:
If the supply bd is good (voltages verified), verify the pwr amp is getting its supply voltages +/- 18V, at the IC pins, use small clip on leads to: with pwr off, hook up dvm, pwr on, test, pwr off,,,next test point, repeat. Verify +/- 12V, +30 V, and +5 volts. Ref, pwr amp ground. Don’t forget to make sure the interconnect connections are good. You might have to reset the connection. And, with pwr off, with ohmmeter – in circuit, verify the 3 or 4 large low ohms resistor, like R20,21,10,11,,ect. You get the idea, just keep going till you find the issue.
Last edited by rogue777 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tenorlord

Post by Tenorlord » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:07 pm

That's a lot to ponder and plan. Thank you very much!!
(Not sure I'm up to this level though.)

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:30 pm

It's just an initial step to verify that the power supply is working (DC Voltages), before you get into to any guitar signal flow (AC voltage). Get some mini clip-on leads for your handheld multimeter, to attach to component leads and IC pins, (hands free). Make your DVM hook ups with the pwr Off, then,,,,, turn On the amp to verify the voltage at that point in the circuit,,,, then pwr Off and to the next test point.
That repair guy of yours could have done this in 10 minutes, if he didn't take those long coffee breaks.