Ampkit not working, not input or output signal

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

Mobi

Re: Ampkit not working, not input or output signal

Post by Mobi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Ok, fair is fair... After spitting my guts at Peavey for buying a defective ampkit link, I mailed to agile partners support. (I first mailed at peavey repair but got no repsonse from them ;-) )
However the same day Bradley from Agile partners mailed me. He said he would help me in getting a new unit.
Next day I got an email from a Peavey UK customer service person, and he immediately told me they would send me a new unit, directly to my home. All I had to do is mail him some pics from my receipt, and that I could destroy the defective ampkit and make some pics of that too... so I took a big hammer and smashed it to pieces :mrgreen: (I admit that this was fun) I took some pics from both receipt and destroyed ampkit link and mailed them to the person.
So now I'm waiting to get a new unit that hopefully will work for a long time. When I get it, I'll post some update.
So despite the bad experience with buying this ampkit link, I must admit that agile partners customer support was very fast and correct. This is my first Peavey product that I have had issues with (playing guitar for over 18 years) so I hope that they can sort out the build quality of this ampkit link.

Mobi

Post by Mobi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Ok so I did receive the new link today. So I was glad that this one was actually working. However I've been using it for around 2 hours now, and sometimes I get a signal drop or volume drop. Basically the volume drops suddenly and all I hear is some faint sound in the background. Usually unplugging and reinserting the guitar cable input jack back into the link will solve the issue.

So I have mixed feelings here... I must thank Bradley & Charley for helping me in getting a new link after a couple of days after sending them an email.
However I still feel like my link isn't working as it should be. These volume/signal drops are not normal. (yes I have been using different guitar cables)

Furthermore I hope that Peavey thinks about quality control when they bring out the next version of the ampkit link, because it doesn't matter if you pay 30€ or 300€ for a product, it should work faultless anyways.

FlyyingV

Post by FlyyingV » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:29 pm

I have had the AmpKit link and app for iPhone/iPad for a week and it worked perfectly! I played last night before bed, all was well.... woke up this morning and NADA! NOTHING! SILENCE!

It seems to be the same problem as described here with the 1/4" input at the link. I can jam it hard and wiggle it, and I get VERY BRIEF bits of sound, but that's it. Not really working anymore.

I have emaled the help desk address that has responded a couple of times to this thread (Bradley_NY) but it is Friday evening.... I am hopefull that the comapny will make good on this new purchase. I have only had it a week, but I like it quite a bit (if we can get one that will work for more than a week, maybe even several years would be nice!) I purchased it new from The Guitar Center in my home town, I will try them and see if they will replace it since it was such a new purchase!?

FlyyingV

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 am

Well FlyyingV I wish you luck but don't expect a miracle. The folks at Rochester, NY Guitar Center were good enough to exchange my defective Ampkit the FIRST TIME but not the second. They referred me back to the manufacturer. Bradley is indeed responsive but frankly, I didn't bother with the exchange after reading about everyone else's woes with the Ampkit and no real expectation a third one would perform any better. So, I went back to using my iRig and writing off the $30 invested in the Ampkit as a lesson learned.

bluesdelux

Post by bluesdelux » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Well, I'd like to share my Ampkit story but I'm sticking with it. Bought one in January 2012. It lasted 10 days. It had the same issues with the 1/4 input and the signal dropping out. Guitar Center replaced it for free since I had their Pro Coverage. The replacement Link lasted 9 months this time and I started having the same issue. Returned it for a 3rd Link. The 3rd Link I'm not so sure about. I'm getting a signal but there is this subtle underlying feedback to my guitar tone. I can't quite describe it. When I adjust the input gain to where the feedback is gone, I loose sustain and the tone gets muddy. The presets I'm using were created when I had the 2nd unit, keep in mind. It seems the input from the unit is too hot or something than the previous unit(?). Also, it puts a weird delay (not what I created in the 1st place) on my preset that wasn't there before. It's a consistent repeat that has the same interval between repeats across many of my presets. I'm going to keep experimenting with it though as I just got it last night.

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:23 am

bluesdelux, I'll give you credit for perseverance if nothing else. Are you going to go for #4? I'm amazed these guys (Peavy) can put out a product like this and not yet have issued a recall for the defective ones. Frankly, it's soured me on the whole brand.
My original 2 year old iRig keeps working without incident although I have to admit, 90% of the time I'm playing clean thru my Quilter MP200 amp. No matter how I altered the settings on either Amplitube and Ampkit software, a hiss or other white noise is apparent when playing at church either using a DI box into the soundboard or a microphone directly in front of the amp. And no, it's not the amp, the problem is apparent not matter whether I use the Quilter, a older Peavy Viper or even older Fender 2x12.
These iPad apps may be great for practicing and maybe even home recording but for playing live... not so much.

kshelley

Post by kshelley » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Just purchased as a Christmas gift to my son... He was very happy for about 2 sessions when the guitar input quit working... headphone jack works because the drum tracks play... guitar and cord work perfect into an external amp... Should I return it for a refund or try my luck on a 2nd unit?

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:27 am

Kshelley: you're kidding right? :lol: Have you read all the posts in this thread? Get your money back if you can.

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:49 pm

We fully respect and understand the catharsis necessary when things go wrong.

However - I want to make absolutely certain that anyone having issues with their LiNK has gotten in touch with us at info@agilepartners

We would rather do everything we can to help out (which we always do) than let things sit in silence. I'm sincerely sorry that Bill has had 4 devices fail - or anyone that has had more than one failure. This is not the norm, but this page is where most everyone comes for more info and to share their stories. The most important bit of info we can pass is how to get in touch with us for help.

- Bradley

bluesdelux

Post by bluesdelux » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:44 am

bluesdelux wrote:Well, I'd like to share my Ampkit story but I'm sticking with it. Bought one in January 2012. It lasted 10 days. It had the same issues with the 1/4 input and the signal dropping out. Guitar Center replaced it for free since I had their Pro Coverage. The replacement Link lasted 9 months this time and I started having the same issue. Returned it for a 3rd Link. The 3rd Link I'm not so sure about. I'm getting a signal but there is this subtle underlying feedback to my guitar tone. I can't quite describe it. When I adjust the input gain to where the feedback is gone, I loose sustain and the tone gets muddy. The presets I'm using were created when I had the 2nd unit, keep in mind. It seems the input from the unit is too hot or something than the previous unit(?). Also, it puts a weird delay (not what I created in the 1st place) on my preset that wasn't there before. It's a consistent repeat that has the same interval between repeats across many of my presets. I'm going to keep experimenting with it though as I just got it last night.

Just an update: The underlying feedback and delay issues are gone. Once I adjusted (lowered) the global input (new feature on the latest version of AmpKit+), it was fine. So, it's not my 3rd AmpKit Link. I'm still sticking with this and I 100% support Peavey and Agile Partners. Bradley from Agile Partners has helped me with other issues and questions I've had and he should be commended for his customer support!!!! If you are having problems with your device, do as he has asked and get in touch with him. You will be happy that you did, he'll take care of you!

Thanks!

Mike in California

Post by Mike in California » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 pm

My brother-in-law was telling me how much he enjoyed the Amp Kit iPad app, and the Amp Kit Link. So I added the app and ordered the Link on Amazon.

It arrived yesterday, and it was DOA. I found this message board (and several others) and saw that there are obviously some problems with this product. So I emailed [email protected] and let them know what happened.

In an hour or so, I received a reply from Bradley. He asked me to try a couple of things and report back to him. I did as he asked, and gave him the results. He replied right away that someone from Peavey would be contacting me.

A few minutes later, Anthony from Peavey called me on my cell phone and promised to send me a replacement unit that had been pre-tested.

In summary, I can see how anyone that plays would want one of these things. It's like a dream gadget and I can't wait to enjoy it. That's why it is frustrating to experience these problems with the product. But I must say, the customer service level and genuine concern on the part of Bradley, Anthony, Agile & Peavey is top notch, and unparalleled. Thank you guys for understanding our frustration and doing everything within you power to make us happy. Based on that alone, I will continue to try & buy your products in the future.

Mike K

Mike in California

Post by Mike in California » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 am

Update to my previous post:

I received the replacement Link unit last Thursday, and I spent several hours playing with Amp Kit on my iPad over the weekend.

While I'm still learning the basics, I must say that so far I'm impressed with Amp Kit and the Link. I've tried several combinations of effect & amp models. One of the things I'm very pleased with is the ability to add in songs from my iPad as backing tracks in Amp Kit. I can play along with favorite songs and adjust the volume/sound just right. Sweet.

In summary, I'm liking the gear & the software, and I'd like to reiterate that the customer service I received was the best I've ever received, period.

Stesanders

Post by Stesanders » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 am

Does anyone know how to change the current input to anything other than 'Headphone Jack' I think i'm supposed to select 'Digital input' but there's no option.

Somebody please enlighten me as to how it works...

Madbaddoberan

Post by Madbaddoberan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 am

I have been using my Ampkit Link Hd for about a year and last night immediately after plugging the output jack into the auxiliary jack via 3.5mm audio cable on my Fender Mustang Mini, Ampkit Link HD stopped receiving input or output signals. I am using a newer Apple IPad Pro with latest software updates and Ampkit, latest updated version. The weird thing is that when I plug Ampkit Link HD into USB on MacBook Pro it works. When I try and plug back into lightning connection on iPad, again nothing. I have rebooted the ipad and have restarted the apps many times over with no luck. It is also weird that it still charges the iPad but still no input or output signals. Ampkit App says the input is headphone jack with no other options to change. Other apps like Guitar Tone and Bias Amp, Bias FX and Ampkitude say there is no input connection. I do know my lightning port works because all my amp apps work with my Sonoma Wireworks Guitar Jack 2 (I am glad I held on to this) just as they used with the Peavey Ampkit Link HD. The Auxillary plug uses the same 3.5 mm audio cable as the Link HD and connects directly to speaker and allows use of the Master Volume knob on my portable amp for gigging, listening to music via iPhone etc. For some reason things went bad and they should not have. I need help. It is frustrating because 1 month ago I had to purchase another power supply for the Ampkit Link HD as the original one purchased one year ago stopped working. I too purchased product because of the reliability factor of the Peavey Name and Brand. Sadly, I am writing for help on a message board rather than making music.

EZchair Picker

Post by EZchair Picker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 pm

My link HD lasted about a year before it finally stopped working. About 8 months in, it became a pain to get to work as it would take up to 15 minutes unhooking an re-hooking everything up to get any signal to go through it. I recently picked up an Apogee interface and it works every time. From what be read (if you believe the Internet) the input jacks are cheap and wear out quickly.