Guitar Rig 3 - Anyone tried out the demo yet ?

ReValver Mk II for Windows and Mac OSX, product discussion. This is a user-to-user forum, and not product support.

Moderators: Michael Ljunggren, ReValver Support Team

Post Reply
nonchai
Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:06 am
Location: UK

Guitar Rig 3 - Anyone tried out the demo yet ?

Post by nonchai » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm

I had fun playing with the Orange and Hiwatt sims today. There is a different type of sound to GR3 when compared to Revalved II - to my ears the GR3 patches seem to roll off the high end more then RV. RV still seems to have the edge in in "valveness" - but i find the way that GR3 is laid out to be very user friendly GUI wise. I like the way that many of the demo patches come with the effects turned off, so you can simply "click in" more effets to see the result, rather tan being presented always with the total processed sound.

One big thing i notice is that there seems much less noise and hiss with GR3 than RVII. Even without use of any noise gate. The high Q setting in GR3 helps but eats CPU.

I was playing around with both RVII and GR3 in the new Logic Studio "Mainstage" application. This is looking cool. There are some interesting patches using Guitar Amp Pro, The sounds that are cool are ones that use heavy processing via the Chainstrip, the amps themselves anrens so good - except for the "tiny" one - "Gordita".

Still trying to decide which to go for. RV definitelt has a tonal quality that i like. GR3 only starts to sound better when in the high Q setting which uses up lots of CPU.

jtyndale
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Post by jtyndale » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Just got done with it, threw it away like all the others..

NI did do better this time around, but again, no tube amp feel. Revalver blows this shit out of the water. I've played all through the amps, checked out some of the reputible tube amp sims, and they all have this solid state dull feel. Nothing wrong with SS but I'm in it for the tubes!

It took me longer to downlaod the demo than it lasted on my machine. Cya GR3!

lvss
Member
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 am
Location: RIO DE JANEIRO BRAZIL

Post by lvss » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 pm

I tried too... Some nice sounds but if you make a good configuration in Revalver is souds really great too... I dont change it... And the support here... Is the best !!! Thanks Michael...

User avatar
Michael Ljunggren
Member
Posts: 2616
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:38 am

lvss wrote:I tried too... Some nice sounds but if you make a good configuration in Revalver is souds really great too... I dont change it... And the support here... Is the best !!! Thanks Michael...
Cool - Thanks! 8)
/Michael Ljunggren, Senior Software Engineer, Peavey Electronics
For personal messages, please do not PM me, send me an email and I'll try to answer right away! :-)
Please us this address: mljunggren (that sign in the middle) peavey-eu.com

User avatar
FrankZappa
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:51 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Guitar Rig 3 - Anyone tried out the demo yet ?

Post by FrankZappa » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:57 am

nonchai wrote:I had fun playing with the Orange and Hiwatt sims today. There is a different type of sound to GR3 when compared to Revalved II - to my ears the GR3 patches seem to roll off the high end more then RV. RV still seems to have the edge in in "valveness" - but i find the way that GR3 is laid out to be very user friendly GUI wise. I like the way that many of the demo patches come with the effects turned off, so you can simply "click in" more effets to see the result, rather tan being presented always with the total processed sound.

One big thing i notice is that there seems much less noise and hiss with GR3 than RVII. Even without use of any noise gate. The high Q setting in GR3 helps but eats CPU.

I was playing around with both RVII and GR3 in the new Logic Studio "Mainstage" application. This is looking cool. There are some interesting patches using Guitar Amp Pro, The sounds that are cool are ones that use heavy processing via the Chainstrip, the amps themselves anrens so good - except for the "tiny" one - "Gordita".

Still trying to decide which to go for. RV definitelt has a tonal quality that i like. GR3 only starts to sound better when in the high Q setting which uses up lots of CPU.
If you are in for the presets, go for GR3 but I will tell you one thing I have noticed with all ampsims: The presets NEVER EVER give the ampsim justice, especially with revalver, but that's just because the "tweak" possibilities are endless with revalver.

User avatar
LarsErik
Member
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by LarsErik » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:54 am

I've tried GR3 an hour today. IMHO it's a killer app. Looks nice, great features (tapedeck, lfo, live view, matched cabinets etc) simple yet powerful to use and lots of great presets out of the box.

Soundwise it doesn't have the same bite and gritty sound as RevalverMKII to me. But I guess it's really to early to say much more since I only started trying it out. (I need to tweak more of my own I guess..)

Sincerely
Lars-Erik

jshep0102
Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Post by jshep0102 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 am

I've owned GR since 2 came out. I've had GR3 for 3 weeks and love it - in different ways than I love Rv MkII(new to it, still at demo stage). The new ultrasonic amp is hot for heavy stuff! If you haven't demo'd, go for it. Of note, cranking (past 7) either/or the volume or prescence on ultrasonicbrings whole new tone variations(in your face type). The space echo is killer. GR3 still doesn't offer VST hosting... I really like all the impulses I can use via RIR before or after GR3. This is VERY rough, but I put down a stereo rhythym track from the Ultrasonic for you to check out...Enjoy, Shep
Attachments
GR3 DemoUltrasonic.mp3
(938.08 KiB) Downloaded 3667 times

outoftune
Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 am
Location: GERMANY / UK

Re: Guitar Rig 3 - Anyone tried out the demo yet ?

Post by outoftune » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 pm

FrankZappa wrote:If you are in for the presets, go for GR3 but I will tell you one thing I have noticed with all ampsims: The presets NEVER EVER give the ampsim justice, especially with revalver, but that's just because the "tweak" possibilities are endless with revalver.
Got to agree here big time. Although IMHO it is probably not the presets that are not perfect, it is a matter of the equipment used when the presets were done (and of course taste) I mean seriously; You guys remember that thread where we talked about how everybody was using MKII with what equipment?! Probably no chance to ever get presets that sound the best they can with your gear without tweaking.

OOT

User avatar
LarsErik
Member
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:49 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by LarsErik » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:36 pm

LarsErik wrote:Soundwise it doesn't have the same bite and gritty sound as RevalverMKII to me. But I guess it's really to early to say much more since I only started trying it out. (I need to tweak more of my own I guess..)
Update: Tried out GR3 a lot more now. I've also had lot of fun using the Tapedeck Content from the GR3 demo into RevalverMk2 and GR3 to be able to compare different playing styles and types of guitars. At the end of the day Revalver MkII sounds better to me. GR3 sounds a bit to sterile and harsh for my taste.

Sincerely
LarsErik

gregonbass
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Guitar Rig 3 - Anyone tried out the demo yet ?

Post by gregonbass » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I have Full versions of GR 5, Amplitude 3, and Revalver. The GR is just a clean model of some amps with little versatility, compared to RV. Even Amp 3 offers more tweaking on individual components. I like the RV for the component level tweaking it offers. not the cleanest but, even my clean playing has a bit of bite to it live I use tubes exclusively, and I own a Windsor, and a Valveking Head, And a VK Combo. so I may be a little biased but the G, Rig is nice....I'll use it for my Acoustic Electrics, But for me, Amp 3 and RV have far more body, and versatility recording and live for my tastes...

Post Reply