Proper double micing setup?

ReValver product discussion. This is a user-to-user forum, and not product support.

Moderators: Michael Ljunggren, ReValver Support Team

functionform

Proper double micing setup?

Post by functionform » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:26 pm

I want to use the same stomps, amps and cabs, but I want to have it double miced. what is the best way to do ? For example, SM7 and R121S. I tried putting two RIR2 in a row, but it caused phase issues.

Cristofe

Re: Proper double micing setup?

Post by Cristofe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Hrmn....interesting problem. I've not tried that in R4. I do it all the time with real amps and mics but I guess ReValver's mic placement abilities are not quite as three dimensional as the real world. With hardware you can just move them around till you find the sweet spot....or flip a phase switch on your console if you've got one. I guess there's no phase inversion in R4. Perhaps instead of trying to use both mics in one instance you could instantiate two instances....identical except for the mics?
Play accordion....get beheaded....it's sharia law

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot

functionform

Post by functionform » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah this is what I'm doing and it seems to work, it just means I'm constantly duplicating and deleting tracks. It's not the worst thing in the world, but makes me a little jealous of Amplitubes cab room - that said, Amplitube is so much more expensive.

qwerty42

Post by qwerty42 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 pm

In the same module as your amp, add an 'Audio Stream Splitter' after the amp. Put an instance of your cabinet in both the blue channel and the red channel of the stream splitter. Pick whichever mic you want for each instance. At the output of the stream splitter, you can adjust how much of each cab will be in the final mix, as well as pan them however you'd like.

There is indeed a phase inversion switch on the RIR2 cab module. It's on the far right side above the power switch. Also the Audio Stream Splitter has its own phase inversion switch for the red channel on the output too.

ReValver is very flexible and powerful. I think a lot of the past critics of the plugin simply didn't learn it well enough to know what it was really capable of. V4 is getting a bit dated but it still competes with any other current amp modeler out there.