Ampkit not working, not input or output signal

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

bomstb

Re: Ampkit not working, not input or output signal

Post by bomstb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Dear Bradley,
I received my ampkit link today and it was working just fine when i first started using it. After I was done I unplugged it and went about my day. Then I went back to use it later, and there was no input or output signal. I did pull it out the guitar cable a little, and that worked for a bit, but soon that stopped working as well. Now the ampkit doesn't pick up any signal at all.

Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
bomstb

slowltd

Post by slowltd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Dang it! It was working sooooo good for about a week. I mean it sounded awesome, no hiss or anything. So I bought 80%+ of the equipment throughout this past week because I was so happy having fun with it. Then...the dreaded 1/4" input started acting up this morning. Needless to say, Bradley, I will be emailing you in the next few moments for your solution.

I will let you all know what happens with my experience.

Cheers and keep shredding.

phobkirk

Post by phobkirk » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:42 am

We had the same problem - seems to be common for this product :-(

slowltd

Post by slowltd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Bradley and Anthony Godfrey have taken care of my situation. Anthony is sending me a replacement. Hopefully this one will last.

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:54 pm

So Bradley, what's up with Peavy's QA? Multiple posts indicate there's a serious quality problem with the Link either bad out of the box or failing after a few weeks of use. When it works it's a great device but I can't count on the thing for reliable performance at my weekly gigs. The Link DOES produce a great sound and it is a better device than the iRig but the latter has never let me down and I feel like I've wasted my investment in the Link. Can I return it for a replacement with any level of confidence that the core issues have been addressed?
Thanks,
Bill
Fairport, NY

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Bill - I talk with Peavey weekly about QA. I don't have the full details of their process, but I know they work tirelessly to correct and improve things.

That said, I often have to remind myself, and others, that LiNK is fully unique. Nobody had tried to do this before us, and nobody else has made an equivalent. There is a lot going on under the hood. We made an active choice to not go with a simple adapter - and we think we came out on top for that choice.

My policy stays the same, if you ever have a problem, get in touch with me, and I will do everything I can to get it fixed.

skychant

Post by skychant » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:42 am

Wish I saw this forum before I returned 3 dead units back to Guitar Center. Very disappointed.
Same thing no input detected in my ipad2 & iPhone 4s

profjoe

Post by profjoe » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:57 pm

So, I get my AmpKit Link, and plug it in to my iPad, with my Millenium AXP Bass as input and everything works marvellously. A bit of tweaking, then plugging it in to my Bass amp on the effects loop input, and played a gig with it. Excellent!

But... and that's the reason I'm on this thread...I plug exactly the same setup into my 4thgen iPod touch, and there is no input signal at all. It appears that the shape of the iPod case prevents the three circuit jack from making contact with the ground connection.on the iPod. Is this likely?

Second, I have a pickup'd acoustic (Fishman active soundhole pickup) that I am trying to use with the Link. With the volume on the pickup jacked up, and the input volume on Ampkit max'd out, I can only get about halfway up the green bars. There doesn't seem to be enough gain for this pickup, which, incidentally, works just fine as an input to my bass amp.

So, some wins, some losses.

Any thoughts on how to cure the problems?

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:57 am

From Bradley: "My policy stays the same, if you ever have a problem, get in touch with me, and I will do everything I can to get it fixed."
I appreciate that Bradley but no amount of changing the settings in the software or on my iPad seem to have any effect. The problem is the iLink and though I have the original packaging, I'm not sure I have the receipt from Guitar Center where I originally purchased the current unit's predecessor (yes, I've already returned the iLink once for a replacement).
Hopefully, they have a record of my transactions in their system or will be cool enough just to give me another exchange. The truth is though, my confidence in iLink is pretty darn low now after going 0 for 2 and I think I'd rather just get my money back, write off the $ spent on the software and move on.

slowltd

Post by slowltd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Got my replacement today. Works great! Lets hope it continues. Also, I hope Peavey makes this thing work so they dont decide to scrap it. I for one, love this little thing.

PacerguyDon

Post by PacerguyDon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Add me to the list of Broken Amplinks :(
I bought mine 8 days ago at GC, used it three times. Now tonight, nothing... This is really pretty sad.
I've been using Peavey products since the late 70's (Still running a Classic 50/50 in my rack) and they have been very reliable... This was the biggest reason I bought the Amplink over Irig... I guess I may have made the wrong choice.
I'll be in contact with Bradley soon.

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:20 am

I've just plain given up. Likely to go back to a Vox Tonelab or Boss processor. Even when the ampkit worked (now on my third replacement), using the iPad/Ampkit software was running into a soundboard was disappointing. It simply doesn't have enough presence (even with the output gain ramped up) to be a practical solution in a live environment. Probably fine for my basement and headphone use - not much else.

dgs3d

Post by dgs3d » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 pm

Same problem here. Barely working if i pulled the cable a little. It worked the first time, the second time took me an hour to get it to work, and finally the third time was completely dead.....
I bought two units hopping to get it solved.
I bought an Irig (the china version) first, but it didn t even recognized the input. so i decided to buy the ampkit because it was suposed to work better......now i have two pieces of plastic in my livingroom...

So frustrating!!

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 am

welcome dgs3d to "the club" of disgruntled Ampkit/iLink purchasers (can't really call ourselves Ampkit [i]users[/i] can we?). I own an iLink, my third, which stopped working for no apparent reason about two weeks after I got it. The other two were defective too: one bad out of the box and the other quit working after several weeks. I've gone back to my iRig which has always worked flawlessly and have simply written off the iLink as a bad investment. With the track record the product has here on this forum, and despite Bradley's willingness to help, the darn thing should be sold with a buyer beware sticker.

Mobi

Post by Mobi » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:48 am

This product is crap. I was at Musikmesse Frankfurt yesterday, and the Peavey sales person convinced me in buying the ampkit link. So today I buy some batteries and test it... guess what? No sound, nothing. I tried it on my Iphone 4s and my old Iphone 3, and no sound whatsoever. When I turn the input jack then some crackling noises apear, but nothing else.

Then I do a search on the internet and I find a lot of people complaining about the same issue! This is very bad for a company like Peavey to bring out a product that is crap. Don't you guys have quality control?!

So now I have mailed Peavey repair because I want to know how I can get a replacement ampkit link that is working, since I didn't buy it at a normal shop but at Musikmesse in Frankfurt. (I have been playing my 5150 live for about 5 years now, but this kinf of stuff makes you not want to buy anything Peavey anymore.... a big company like Peavey should know better :x )