Digitool HD copy paste questions and improvement ideas

This forum is for discussions on the various types of AA processors and effects.
Spintonik

Digitool HD copy paste questions and improvement ideas

Post by Spintonik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:44 am

Hi!

This question is about using Digitool HD / MX on a installation environment.

I'd like to collect a set of common processing parameters I use, as I process (high-pass, EQ, compression) certain mic type same way almost every time. While setting up the whole installed system, I need to set up every input and output accordingly.

Now I have these parameters in Evernote, as a list of settings I'll need to do while configuring Digitool MX to a new client.
Or I may have a saved Digitool HD configuration file as a starting point.

Instead, I would like to collect them into Digitool HD configuration -master file, from which I would copy/paste correct parameters to client configurations.

However, I cannot seem to find a way to copy/paste parameters from one configuration file to another. Neither there is a separate filetype for input Proc / output Proc, which would be handy.

How have you others solved this?

Br,
Mikko Sundman
Entrepreneur / Audio Designer
Sonolux Oy / Finland
http://www.sonolux.fi

JoshM

Re: Digitool HD copy paste questions and improvement ideas

Post by JoshM » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:48 am

Greetings Mikko!

Unfortunately there is not currently an option to export or import subsets or groups of control values. This is unfortunately one of the shortcomings of a product as inexpensive as the Digitool MX Live/16/32 series. As you have found, they offer a significant value in the price versus performance category. The down side is that it will take a little longer to configure since you need to enter the requisite values for the controls manually, or have a boilerplate preset that you load in first, then edit to suit the specific situation.

Now, all that said, if you wanted to and you have the skills to write software, you could always write your own application that talks to the Digitool, bypassing the Digitool HD software. There is a document on the Peavey Commercial Audio website that oulines how to communicate with the Digitool via Ethernet. This document is geared towards people using 3rd party control systems like Crestron, AMX, Cue Control, or others, but it is directly applicable for the sort of thing you are interested in doing. So, if you have the software chops and want a fun project to develop the tool you are seeking, the hooks are there to help you implement it. You can find the document here: Digitool Ethernet Communication

If you are really interested in being able to build a library and you do not want to write your own software, you might want to look up market a bit to the MediaMatrix NION series of audio digital signal processors. The NWare software for the NION does allow you to build custom processing blocks and store them for use again later with your specific settings saved. It is true that the NIONs do cost a good bit more than the Digitools, but you do end up with a considerably more flexible processing platform and your desire for a library to store your settings is intrinsically integrated.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!
Josh
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Spintonik

Re: Digitool HD copy paste questions and improvement ideas

Post by Spintonik » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 am

Josh,

Thank You for your comprehensive reply!

Too bad a simple solution was not available (like I guessed myself), but thank you for the workarounds. I'll have a look at NION products - but as technology advances so terribly quickly at this front, I know I would be able to find a competitor product that would provide me what I am after. Not without caveats, though, which I am not too keen finding out the hard way...

Digitool MX has been a robust product, reliable and like you mentioned, relatively good value for a money for the client.

let's just continue collecting the database :)

-Mikko