Digitool MX password reset

This forum is for discussions on the various types of AA processors and effects.
erikschorr

Digitool MX password reset

Post by erikschorr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 am

I installed a Digitool MX at a school several years ago, and it's still working beautifully to this day, BUT a student or some other person got into the cabinet to mess with the processor, changed some settings, and locked it with a new password. The default (1234) does not unlock the system, and I've tried at least 20 codes that I thought could have been used (address, common sequences, etc). I was able to reset the configuration using a PC and the Digitool utility, so it's doing its job again, but the utility didn't seem to have any tool or method to reset the security password on the device. It's stuck at the lock screen and I just can't do anything with the system without plugging my laptop into it.

Is there a method or power-on action that can allow me to reset the password/lock code so that I can unlock the front panel? It's running latest firmware (3.42)

JoshM

Re: Digitool MX password reset

Post by JoshM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:06 am

Hi Erik,

The information below may help you if you are dealing with a Digitool MX (NOT FOR USE WITH THE Digitool MX16, MX32, or LIVE). Please note that it is talking about using the command window in the Digitool Flash Utility, not the command prompt in Windows.

You should be sure to have a backup copy of your configuration file to reload into the unit afterwards in case some settings are reset.
RESETTING THE DIGITOOL PASSWORD
In the event that the Digitool password has been lost and the unit is locked, follow these steps to
unlock the unit and restore the password to the factory default of “1234”.
Note: This procedure also resets the display contrast, Automix Weighting and the Serial Network Address to the
factory defaults - but does not affect presets.

STEPS
1. Open the terminal window in the PC utility using the Utilities drop-down menu.
2. In the 'Command' text area of the terminal window (bottom of window) type the command 'boote'
and then press enter.
3. Digitool will respond in the terminal view with the following:
BOOTE
BOOTE
>

4. Cycle the power to the Digitool.
5. Wait for the EEPROM update message to clear (this may take a few minutes).
6. After the message clears, the unit will be unlocked and the password is reset to the factory default
of '1234'.

If your display is not visible after this procedure, use the PC Utilities drop-down menu item 'LCD Contrast' to
correct the display.
Have fun and good luck!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

erikschorr

Post by erikschorr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:15 am

JoshM: Thank you! I'll give this a try next time I get access to the equipment.

I'll be back later to let you know if it worked. I can't believe nobody else has asked this here before, and I haven't found it in any manuals.

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Sorry to bump an old post, but I'm trying to find where to locate the software for the Digitizer MX (Digitool Flash Utility?). Whomever was in charge of that material in our building has either completely forgotten/misplaced any documentation, or has long since left our organization. We no longer know the password of the device and although I'm up to about 1333 in trying to manually break the password, I saw that this might be a slightly more efficient means to get access to our system.

Is this still available anywhere? Are the firmware downloads still available anywhere?

Thank you!

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:57 pm

BrendonKoz wrote:...I'm trying to find where to locate the software for the Digitizer MX (Digitool Flash Utility?). ... Is this still available anywhere? Are the firmware downloads still available anywhere?

Thank you!
Hi Brendon!

The software for the original Digitool MX is available here:
Digitool MX Flash Utility program version 3.42b

This is from the Peavey Commercial Audio website's Support webpage. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Good luck and have fun!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Awesome! Thank you very much, JoshM!

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:43 am

So we've been successful in installing the software, choosing the correct COM port, and most importantly finding a proper serial cable. Unfortunately we're stuck at an issue which appears to be an incompatibility of the version of software and the hardware.

We're getting an error when establishing connection with the DIGITOOL MX hardware from the Digitool Utilities software:
"Prompt Error: Received VERSION instead of >."
...and then immediately following that:
"List index out of bounds (4)"

Whatever window/action is attempting to make connection at this point simply hangs and continues to try to connect (apparently not realizing connection has not, nor will be made). Thankfully closing the main application toolbar exits everything else.

Any ideas? Would we need to use an older version of the utility (if available)? I unfortunately found no other references of this error anywhere else.

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Mon May 04, 2015 10:32 am

BrendonKoz wrote: we're stuck at an issue which appears to be an incompatibility of the version of software and the hardware.
What hardware, specifically are you using?

What is screen printed on the front panel of the unit?

Does it say:
MX
MX16
MX32
LIVE
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Mon May 04, 2015 11:10 am

Architectural Acoustics / Peavey Digitool MX Programmable Audio Multi Processor
Front of Unit
Front of Unit
WP_20150504_11_50_25_Pro.jpg (329.39 KiB) Viewed 23675 times
Rear of Unit
Rear of Unit
WP_20150504_11_51_39_Pro.jpg (378.54 KiB) Viewed 23675 times

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Mon May 04, 2015 11:34 am

JoshM wrote: The software for the original Digitool MX is available here:
Digitool MX Flash Utility program version 3.42b

This is from the Peavey Commercial Audio website's Support webpage. Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
Are you using the software listed in the first link above?

Are you connecting your computer to the Digitool MX using an RS-232 cable connected directly to an RS-232 port on your computer?

If you are attempting to use a USB to RS-232 adapter, be aware that not all of them will work with all hardware and software. I used to carry three different models of these adapters because different ones would work with different software and hardware. I went back to using a computer with a real RS-232 port on it to get away from these issues and have since transitioned into using network connected devices.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 am

Are you using the software listed in the first link above?
Yes. I downloaded both your direct link and the software file from a different link, but after comparing the filesize deduced they were exactly the same (I believe the other link listed the filename as just a number(.exe)) and so just used the file linked to from this discussion.

Are you connecting your computer to the Digitool MX using an RS-232 cable connected directly to an RS-232 port on your computer?
The computer with the software installed (a Windows XP x32 laptop) is connected directly to the back of the unit with a (male : female) DB9 serial cable. I actually had to get one from my house because we only had female/female or male/male here on location.

I typically work on computers, not hardware/equipment. Would the standard quick "power cycle" trick be something worth trying, or could that cause other complications (or just not be helpful)?

Barring that, it sounds like trying an alternative cable is the only option here?

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Thu May 07, 2015 11:33 am

BrendonKoz wrote:I typically work on computers, not hardware/equipment. Would the standard quick "power cycle" trick be something worth trying, or could that cause other complications (or just not be helpful)?

Barring that, it sounds like trying an alternative cable is the only option here?
A power cycle of the Digitool will likely not cause any problems, but it also will not likely help anything either. Though you can give it a try if you would like to. Certainly trying another cable would be a good idea. You may want to look up the pin outs for the RS-232 ports and make sure that the Tx pin is talking to the Rx pin going each direction.

Barring all that, I would highly recommend calling A/A customer support at 601-483-5376. Then press 2 for customer support. Someone in support for A/A should be able to help you sort through your connectivity issues.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

BrendonKoz

Post by BrendonKoz » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Thank you, Josh. You're awesome! Much appreciated.

BTSound

Post by BTSound » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 am

According to the instructions above you type boote in the command text window at the bottom of the terminal window.
I am not seeing this command area at the bottom of the screen. I can drag a White window open and type into that window, but when we push enter, it just starts another line below what we typed.
Any idea what we are not doing correctly to see this command window? There is nothing at the bottom of the screen.

Need to modify this unit at our church to use Aux fed Subs.

Thanks

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Tue May 10, 2016 9:29 am

BTSound wrote:According to the instructions above you type boote in the command text window at the bottom of the terminal window.
I am not seeing this command area at the bottom of the screen. I can drag a White window open and type into that window, but when we push enter, it just starts another line below what we typed.
Any idea what we are not doing correctly to see this command window? There is nothing at the bottom of the screen.

Need to modify this unit at our church to use Aux fed Subs.

Thanks
If you are getting that far and not having success, I would highly recommend calling A/A customer support at 601-483-5376. Then press 2 for customer support. Someone in support for A/A should be able to help you sort through your connectivity issues. They are great guys who want to help you.

Thanks!
Josh
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios