CEQ28 "Computer Controlled" Graphic Equaliser - HELP PLEASE

A general discussion forum for everything AA.
Stompbox

CEQ28 "Computer Controlled" Graphic Equaliser - HELP PLEASE

Post by Stompbox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Good evening,
Newbie here asking about my CEQ28 - I can only get sound through it when "Bypass" or "RTA" function buttons are pressed.
I have done the "Factory Reset", but I can't get anything except VERY faint sound when I go to the Equaliser setting.
All the controls appear to be OK, but I've a horrible feeling I've done something that has locked the sound out, or muted it.
It was working just fine until the other day & I was connecting it up & I think that I pressed some of the control buttons.
Have I done something on MIDI & put in a bogus command ? (That's why I did the Factory Reset)
Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Stompbox

JoshM

Re: CEQ28 "Computer Controlled" Graphic Equaliser - HELP PLE

Post by JoshM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi there,

You may have inadvertently turned the overall gain down. You should be able to look at the screen and use the Left/Right <> cursors to scroll left and right through the various 1/3rd octave bands and find the overall level control on either the far left or far right end. Otherwise, you may want to press the "Flat" button and then choose "Yes" when asked on the screen if that is what you really want to do. If all of the bands are fully attenuated, you could be getting a lot of loss through the box. Of course, reading the manual and fully understanding how your gear is supposed to work is always a good first step. You can find the manual here:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 301183.pdf
and the specification sheet for it is here:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 301271.pdf

If you do all this stuff and still have no luck, you can always send it in to get it repaired.

(good grief... I can't believe that manual was done in 1989... It can't possibly have been that long ago!)

Good luck and have fun out there!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Stompbox

Post by Stompbox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Josh - thanks for the information.

I did download & printed out the manual & read through it before I posted on here, that's how I knew about the Factory Reset - I wouldn't presume to just ask on a forum without having done some research myself & tried what I could..

Yes I have set it to flat response & moved the cursor to the left & used it to step up the overall gain of the unit right up to +12 DB, but still hardly anything comes through.

Looks like it's gone faulty then from what you have said.

I do have another which won't power up at all - now this second one has gone it's all a bit gloomy - all that's left is a "Slave" model -I wonder if I could make one good one out of the three!

The thing is I'm over in the UK, so it may be fairly prohibitive to send them to the USA for repair....

Regards,

Stompbox.

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Stompbox wrote:Hi Josh - thanks for the information.

I did download & printed out the manual & read through it before I posted on here, that's how I knew about the Factory Reset - I wouldn't presume to just ask on a forum without having done some research myself & tried what I could..
Excellent! I'm glad you were able to find them and took the time to read them. You would be surprised at the number of people who do not bother with those kinds of details. Bonus points for you! Good job!!! :D
Stompbox wrote:Yes I have set it to flat response & moved the cursor to the left & used it to step up the overall gain of the unit right up to +12 DB, but still hardly anything comes through.

Looks like it's gone faulty then from what you have said.

I do have another which won't power up at all - now this second one has gone it's all a bit gloomy - all that's left is a "Slave" model -I wonder if I could make one good one out of the three!
Yes, it is quite possible that there is actually something wrong with those units. If you are feeling up to it, you could swap the power supply out of the one that powers up and into the other that doesn't and see if you can get audio through it. You could end up with a 28 that works and a 28R that works!
Stompbox wrote:The thing is I'm over in the UK, so it may be fairly prohibitive to send them to the USA for repair....

Regards,

Stompbox.
Oh yeah, that whole problem of the shipping costing more than the units are acutally worth. That is a serious issue. However, do not fear! We do have a distributor right there in the UK! Peavey Electronics Ltd. is located in Corby, Northhamptonshire. You may want to get in touch with them to see if they could assist with the repairs. We have a bunch of really fantastic people over there!

Good luck!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios