Preset / Delaytimes QW-1 System

A forum for discussing the VSX and share settings
montmartre

Preset / Delaytimes QW-1 System

Post by montmartre » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 am

I purchased a used QW-1 system.
Consist 6 Versarray 218 / 6 QW 215 / 6 QW1.
I examined Marty`s Paper Programming a QW-1 System.
Have some questions: Does anyone have the delaytimes for this System?
Maybe there are some new presets for this System?
Is there no need of use CD-horn EQ on the 44XT horn, or is this taken care of in the peq settings?
What would be your recommendation when i will use this System whit Peavey IPR2 Ampfliers (What types)
Have some DSP prosessors.

Thank you

Sjaak ( From the Netherlands)

Sorry for my maybe faulty english.

Dookie

Re: Preset / Delaytimes QW-1 System

Post by Dookie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:04 pm

I had a qw-1 , dth218b system years ago. I know the horn needed to be delayed 0.813ms to delay it too the 2 mid drivers. Somewhere there is a writeup on your system. May still be on the web. Maybe Marty may chime in. Doug

montmartre

Post by montmartre » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Dookie, Thank You for your input. The number for delay (0,813ms) I know. The manual mention this number to.
The 215`s and the 218`s need also delay.

Marty wrote in his artikel:
Programming a QW 1 System.
How to build a DSP X-over Preste From the specifications in the owners manual.

Bartman has been asking for the presets for his system that consists of QW-1, QW-215, and QW-218.
Back when Boomer did most of the initial presets, we did not have a QW system on hand to measure.
I had some presets from when I went to both Nigeria and Vietnam, but they are in a laptop that has
crashed. I will have access to a QW system in a few weeks and will measure it and come up with a
specific preset, but for now let me use this as a teaching opportunity based on the published
specifications of these products. Below are the specs for the QW-1:

Now the only remaining parameters that I can NOT deduce from looking at the specifications is the
necessary delay setting to align the acoustic centers of the transducers. In looking at the QW-1, the
Mid-range horn is longer than the length of the 60 x 40 CH-642qt horn that has the 44XT compression
driver mounted on it. So that tells us that the high frequency bandpass (Output 4) is going to need
some added delay. Now above in the specifications for the QW-1, the time offset is listed as 0.813
milliseconds. However that spec is obtained from an ETC (Energy/Time Curve) of the impulse
response of the transducers in each bandpass (Horn loaded 10” BW's and 44XT on Quadratic Throat
CH-642qt). This tells us that in the raw transducer state, the Highs are 0.813 mSec ahead of the Mid's
in propagation time. However the actual delay setting will be more than this due to the group delay
added by the X-Over module filters and the PEQ's. More on this in Part Two, where I will show you a
method that will allow you to align the acoustic centers.

I`ve tried the method of part two, but without reliable results ( not the right tools ).
Also I have no access to a Smaart live System.

Maybe in the future I will invest in a Smaart live measuement System and take a Smaart Live course.

Thanks

Sjaak

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 am

Where are you located? I'm pretty good with Smaart RTA.
Also the sub sections, due to the ported box and group delay of low cut and high cut filters may be farther back in time at their respected crossover points in regards to the QW1's already. The QW1's may need to be delayed more and of course still maintaining the delay between them. This should be measured.
Doug

montmartre

Post by montmartre » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I live in the Netherlands close to Rotterdam.
I am a Peavey user (fan) for over 20 years.

montmartre

Post by montmartre » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:00 pm

Is there really no one who can help?

Sjaak

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:44 pm

I had a file somewhere with some presets for a 4-way setup... I can't find them right now but will keep looking. I think they might be on my other computer at the office and will check Monday when I go back in.

montmartre

Post by montmartre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:32 am

If you want to do that, Thank you Thank you.!!!!!!!

Sjaak

Bartman

Post by Bartman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Can you open an XLS file? (Microsoft Excel)
Attachments
VSX26-4way.xls
VSX26 QW 4-way system
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 414 times