VSX 26 problem

A forum for discussing the VSX and share settings
vectrasoundz

VSX 26 problem

Post by vectrasoundz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi guys, getting a weird problem with our VSX26s, the first time it happened we were doing an event and all of a sudden this loud noise came though the entire system, it sounded like the signal generator turned on by it self (it was so loud people started running :o ), the only way we got the sound to go away was to turn the volume down on all the amplifiers. The mixer was turned down, no signal was going into the system but just was getting the loud noise which after checking the next day blew all the RX22 drivers in the system (6 in total). We checked that VSX and it returned to normal but because of what happened we swapped the VSX out for a spare one, last night the spare one did the SAME thing in the middle of an event (blew two RX22s this time), what could possibly be causing this?

Josjor

Re: VSX 26 problem

Post by Josjor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Two different VSX's did the same thing?

To me that points to something BESIDES the VSX. After all, it'd be pretty big odds against both VSX's having the same defect.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

vectrasoundz

Post by vectrasoundz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Josjor wrote:Two different VSX's did the same thing?

To me that points to something BESIDES the VSX. After all, it'd be pretty big odds against both VSX's having the same defect.
I understand that, but nothing else has a signal going into it, we had in a dual 31 band eq and we took that out. We have:

Soundcraft mixer--->kosmos V2----->VSX26----->amplifiers

The first time it happened we had a PV14 ch mixer, and we changed all the XLR cables after that.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Kosmos?

Set it all up again and this time start out with the amps turned down so you don't blow more drivers. :D

Wait for the noise to occur and then start eliminating things one at a time. For instance:

1. Unplug outputs from board.
Still noise?
2. Unplug outputs from Kosmos.
Still noise?
3. Mute inputs, one at a time on VSX.
Still noise?
4. Unplug outputs from VSX, one at a time.

Then there are other things such as is it from all the amps? Is it a factory preset from Peavey or? Can you check the preset, save it to a thumb drive, re-set the VSX, and start over? Could it be a low voltage issue that is somehow triggering this in the VSX (if it is indeed the VSX.)

The thing is, the VSX has been around a long time and for something like this to show up suddenly in TWO DIFFERENT UNITS would be like having lightning strike you twice on the same day of the year, at the same hour, at the same location, one year later. Pretty unlikely.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Dano0369

Post by Dano0369 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Hell-o Sir; Without knowing all the variables, i suspect the kosmos. To much of it can really cause problems. Hope you get the problems ironed out :arrow:
Dano0369