Tube 60 and vypyr pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
guitarman1phil

Tube 60 and vypyr pro

Post by guitarman1phil » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:33 am

Hi guys, i finally got a vypyr pro 100 to go
along with my tube 60. I traded my boss katana artist mk2 for it. The boss was the newest best amp modeler that ive tried in awhile. BUUUUUTTTTT, my vypyr tube was sitting for awhile, was having problems with it. I decided to compare the boss to the tube 60. Of course the vypyr to me is a much smoother, leaner, sweeter ear and finger pleaser. I plugged and played the pro last night for about 5 minutes. WOW!!!! I am waiting for my new tubes for the tuber. I cant wait to compare them. I already know im keeping them both. I will never leave Peavey again, and think there's better out there. I am hopeful that i can join a band this year, but have had physical ailments. I got injured at work 3 years ago which prevent me from playing for more than 10 minutes. Praying for surgery to relive this. Peace and happiness to all.
Phil

stratpurist

Re: Tube 60 and vypyr pro

Post by stratpurist » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:44 pm

I had the opportunity to play a katana mkii side by side with my VYPYR. Like you I expected the Boss to be the new standard but the sound was thin compared to the Peavey and not nearly as flexible in dialing up useful/musical effects.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

Orneryduck

Post by Orneryduck » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:10 am

I’m trying to decide between a Vypyr 30 and a Vypyr Tube 60 right now. The 60 costs twice as much as the 30 but is still CHEAP compared to any other tube amp. I keep hearing that the Transtube design makes the full-SS Vypyrs a winner too making the decision more difficult.

I’d hoped to fall in love with the Spark 40 everyone and their mother says is the magic bullet of modern amplifiers, but my recent test of one at GC left me hugely disappointed. If it cannot be good on its own, I cannot imagine the app making all the difference - it sounded like a bluetooth speaker, the controls were terrible and it’d go from 5% volume to 100% at the change of an amp style (not preset). It also had the annoying feature of hiding the controls up top like many bigger, nicer amps do. This is great for big gear and gigging artists that have their own full-time techs or sit behind the amp, but not for someone that wants to sit on their couch and have some fun with the guitar.

Spent the next hour trying Line6 and Fender modelers, no Katanas were out for testing — I didn’t like ANY of them. In fact the only amp I enjoyed that I tried was the non-modeling Supro Delta King 10, that looked too cool to ignore. Made the already excellent PRS guitar I was playing, sound even better.

Unless modelers are just junk as a whole, the Vypyr family seems like the winner for my wants, just need to decide which one…

dak

Post by dak » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:07 pm

Orneryduck wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:10 am
This is great for big gear and gigging artists that have their own full-time techs or sit behind the amp, but not for someone that wants to sit on their couch and have some fun with the guitar.

Spent the next hour trying Line6 and Fender modelers, no Katanas were out for testing — I didn’t like ANY of them. In fact the only amp I enjoyed that I tried was the non-modeling Supro Delta King 10, that looked too cool to ignore. Made the already excellent PRS guitar I was playing, sound even better.

Unless modelers are just junk as a whole, the Vypyr family seems like the winner for my wants, just need to decide which one…
Ok, for "someone that wants to sit on their couch and have some fun with the guitar" I'd recommend going all-analog. Anything that does digital processing (and for modeling, that's certainly the straight path forward) adds at least 5ms for A/D and D/A conversion, and then additional lag for the effects and buffering. Every ms of delay corresponds to 1ft of distance. That's irrelevant for the audience, and thus pretty irrelevant for a PA as well.

But if you are playing for yourself at home, not going through the motions but doing a one-on-one with your guitar, you want the intimacy of an immediate response. You play guitar, not church organ. And digital processing adds delay. Class D power amps are sort of a middle ground and can be comparatively immediate depending on their implementation.

So that gets us to the modelers. Quite a few work digitally nowadays. That makes them easy to implement and upgrade (via firmware). And it takes from the immediacy of the response. Quite ok for an audience which has no motoric connection to your actual play, even if they have a visual one. But for yourself it may have a bit of a cost in how connected you feel to your play.

The "transtubes" are analog, at least the older ones I took a look at. So their comparatively crude modeling does not come at the cost of relevant delay. Don't know about the Vypyrs.

So long message short: check out playing yourself what is intended to make you enjoy playing yourself, and check out someone else playing gear that is intended to make someone else enjoy listening to you. In particular with regard to modelers, those two use cases will differ considerably with regard to how much payoff you get from low latency, and digital processing adds latency.