Phones Jack Vypyr X1: Which Aux cable?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
JohnK

Phones Jack Vypyr X1: Which Aux cable?

Post by JohnK » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:41 am

Good afternoon,

I've been through 3 different, brand-new, 3.5mm aux cables trying to get the phones to work with my new Vypyr X1. None of them work, but the old, short cable I have from iXCC for my over-the-ear headphones works, but is too short so I needed to add a female to male extender, which thankfully works.

The plug-end and number of poles on the new cables and the iXCC cable are the same, as is the design. Any ideas as to why the new ones don't work? I'm not sure how long the iXCC cable is going to last and am tired of trying out various cables.

Thanks, in advance, for any insight anyone can offer.

dak

Re: Phones Jack Vypyr X1: Which Aux cable?

Post by dak » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:35 am

JohnK wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:41 am
The plug-end and number of poles on the new cables and the iXCC cable are the same,
Namely what?

You need a cable with TRS plugs here: one ring between tip and shield of the plug. If such a plug is inserted in a phone socket (which generally is TRRS), it will short the socket contact for the second ring with the socket contact for the "shield" (or shaft). One of the two is actually signal ground, the other is a microphone input. When putting a TRRS cable into a TRS socket (which more likely than not is what you are doing), it is sort of a gamble whether the single S contact makes contact with the signal ground (shield) of the cable or with the wire intended to carry the microphone signal or both or neither and/or unreliably.

So make sure that the cable you use is TRS only, with a single ring on either of the connectors and not able to carry a microphone signal.

Because of problems like yours here, "defensive" socketing in the Vypyr would have used TRRS sockets for an AUX input, with S and the second R shortcircuited.

tegeorg

Re: Phones Jack Vypyr X1: Which Aux cable?

Post by tegeorg » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:07 am

TRS plugs (with one ring connecting the plug's tip and shield) are required for this application. When placed into a phone socket (often TRRS), this type of plug will cause a short between the "shield" (or shaft) contact and the second ring contact. A microphone input is one of the two, while signal ground is the other. It is possible, but not guaranteed, that the single S contact will make contact with the signal ground (shield) of the cable rather than the wire intended to carry the microphone signal when inserting a TRRS cable into a TRS socket.