Vypyr 60 with 16 ohm external 4x12 cab

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Dran

Vypyr 60 with 16 ohm external 4x12 cab

Post by Dran » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 pm

I disconnected my Vypyrs main speaker and connected my 4x12 16ohm cab with the ext out and blew the 120v fuse within a few hours. I read that powering the amp on without the main speaker being connected is a bad idea. ( I read this AFTER I blew the fuse :roll: ) I've replaced the 120v fuse and everything is in working order again btw.
Is there a way to use only the Ext speaker out of the Vypyr to my 16ohm 4x12 cab while leaving the vypyrs main 12" disconnected? The vypyrs OEM 12" doesn't sound nearly as good as the emminecence 12's in my 4x12. The vypyrs speaker is a bit hissy for my ears. FWIW I don't know a lot about loads and ohms.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr 60 with 16 ohm external 4x12 cab

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The reason it is recommended to not disconnect the internal speaker is due to the way Peavey handles adding the external cabinet. The output transformer has 2 taps, a 16 ohm tap and an 8 ohm tap.

The internal 16 ohm speaker is normally connected to the 16 ohm tap. The external speaker jack is a switching jack. When you plug an external 16 ohm cabinet into the external speaker jack, it connects both 16 ohm speaker loads in parallel for a total 8 ohm speaker load, and also switches to the 8 ohm tap on the output transformer. Plain and simple, it is a recommendation to ensure the output transformer is matched to the actual speaker load. This is done for maximum power transfer to the speakers.

If you do not want to use the internal speaker, you will need to replace it in circuit, with a 16 ohm dummy load.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr 60 with 16 ohm external 4x12 cab

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:52 pm

Dran wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:14 pm
I disconnected my Vypyrs main speaker and connected my 4x12 16ohm cab with the ext out and blew the 120v fuse within a few hours. I read that powering the amp on without the main speaker being connected is a bad idea. ( I read this AFTER I blew the fuse :roll: ) I've replaced the 120v fuse and everything is in working order again btw.
Is there a way to use only the Ext speaker out of the Vypyr to my 16ohm 4x12 cab while leaving the vypyrs main 12" disconnected? The vypyrs OEM 12" doesn't sound nearly as good as the emminecence 12's in my 4x12. The vypyrs speaker is a bit hissy for my ears. FWIW I don't know a lot about loads and ohms.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
I considered this some more.

Another option would be to mount a speaker jack somewhere on the cabinet. Then move the output wires from the internal speaker to the newly installed speaker jack. That is still on the 16 ohm tap. Connect your 4x12 to the installed jack.

You will have to treat it like a head, and remember to never operate it without a cabinet plugged into the installed jack.

If you did want to use the internal speaker, just build a 2 spade lugs to 1/4" plug cable. Then connect the spade lugs to the speaker, and connect the plug to the installed jack.

Except for screw holes in the cabinet, this would be totally reversible if you ever needed to.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.