Yet another Vypyr Firmware Question....

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
MrBoston

Yet another Vypyr Firmware Question....

Post by MrBoston » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:49 pm

Hello everyone, I've looked high and low across this forum and through Google and I'm seeing something I've not yet read anywhere else. I have a Vypyr Tube 60 that was working just fine running 1.55 FW. Stupidly, I decided to update to 1.59 for absolutely no logical reason. I used the updater listed on Peavey's software support listed under 'Vypyr First Generation'. I also used the 1.59 FW. It says all was fine, the encoders on the amp mimicked what the updater software was doing and it told me that it had been successfully updated from 1.55 to 1.59. I powered the amp off then on and when I attempted to verify the version, it still showed 1.55. That's not so bad, but now I have an amp that turns on and does the light show until I plug in my guitar. Then a single led on each encoder lights up for a second or two before they all go dark, with the exception of the AMP encoder which seems to just stay on 6505. Every other encoder is out. There is no output and turning knobs doesn't move encoder leds. After reading so much of this forum, it would seem I've bricked my vypyr but after scouring Glen Colbert's posts and his site and it seems like I wouldn't see the light show if this was the problem. Is it bricked? Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so, were you able to fix it? I can't attempt another reflash because even though my computer sees the amp, the encoders don't move during the update. Any info on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Note: This is so strange.....depending on where the light show is in its travels across the encoders, I can sometimes get up to 4 encoder LEDs to stay lit. For instance, this last time it's Stompbox=Bypass, Bank = A, Pre-Gain=pegged, and Post Gain = 1 o'clock....turning none of them makes any difference.
Attachments
Random encoders lit if I turn on the amp with the guitar cable unplugged and then plug it in during lightshow
Random encoders lit if I turn on the amp with the guitar cable unplugged and then plug it in during lightshow
IMG_8543.JPG (4.15 MiB) Viewed 2433 times
Only the 6505 Amp led lit if I plug gutar cable in and then turn on the amp.
Only the 6505 Amp led lit if I plug gutar cable in and then turn on the amp.
IMG_8544.JPG (4.25 MiB) Viewed 2433 times

Shady_Guy_Jose

Re: Yet another Vypyr Firmware Question....

Post by Shady_Guy_Jose » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:32 am

My Vypyr 75 has the exact same issue. Updating from 1.55 to 1.59 produced the exact same result. Unsolved for 6 years. Today, I tried updating again from the lightshow. Tried several firmwares. Only 1.39 installed successfully. However, this firmware is only a jumping point, and every time I try to install a higher version, it hangs at the end and still shows 1.39 when booting. I can't even install 1.55 again to get to where you are again.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:45 am

MrBoston wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:49 pm
Hello everyone, I've looked high and low across this forum and through Google and I'm seeing something I've not yet read anywhere else. I have a Vypyr Tube 60 that was working just fine running 1.55 FW. Stupidly, I decided to update to 1.59 for absolutely no logical reason. I used the updater listed on Peavey's software support listed under 'Vypyr First Generation'. I also used the 1.59 FW. It says all was fine, the encoders on the amp mimicked what the updater software was doing and it told me that it had been successfully updated from 1.55 to 1.59. I powered the amp off then on and when I attempted to verify the version, it still showed 1.55. That's not so bad, but now I have an amp that turns on and does the light show until I plug in my guitar. Then a single led on each encoder lights up for a second or two before they all go dark, with the exception of the AMP encoder which seems to just stay on 6505. Every other encoder is out. There is no output and turning knobs doesn't move encoder leds. After reading so much of this forum, it would seem I've bricked my vypyr but after scouring Glen Colbert's posts and his site and it seems like I wouldn't see the light show if this was the problem. Is it bricked? Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so, were you able to fix it? I can't attempt another reflash because even though my computer sees the amp, the encoders don't move during the update. Any info on where to start would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Note: This is so strange.....depending on where the light show is in its travels across the encoders, I can sometimes get up to 4 encoder LEDs to stay lit. For instance, this last time it's Stompbox=Bypass, Bank = A, Pre-Gain=pegged, and Post Gain = 1 o'clock....turning none of them makes any difference.
1.59 is actually the recommended firmware, unless you are using the Librarian. You are good there. It could be a failure of the flash memory.

Did you try a Factory Reset? I am not optimistic, but you can try it.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Shady_Guy_Jose

Post by Shady_Guy_Jose » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:59 am

After jumping from your situation to 1.39, I managed to reinstall 1.53 and 1.55 using the older version 2.25 updater. Try that and see if it works. I've never managed to install 1.59 and get it to boot, though.

Elenilson sales

Post by Elenilson sales » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:53 am

hello i have a vypyr 75 which after updating! it stopped calling, can someone help me?