Need help fixing VIP 2 power amp

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
bikerbomber

Need help fixing VIP 2 power amp

Post by bikerbomber » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:18 pm

Howdy! I have a few Vypyr VIP 2 amps that have smoking coming from them at the same spot. When powered up the speaker just clicks. One will work with the headphones out(w/buzzing) but won’t function if the ribbon isn’t plugged into the power amp. If I can replace the transistor (shown in pictures), could this solve the problem? I have multiple with the same problem spot.

Is there a way to bypass the power amp so I can just use it as a d.i out or headphone amp?
Thanks!!!

Link to the pictures!

JamesPaul

Re: Need help fixing VIP 2 power amp

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Normally I am not a fan of replacing parts, unless troubleshooting determines they are bad.

However as you have multiple VIP 2's with this same smoking transistor, I might try replacing the transistor in one of the VIPs. If it smokes again, there is likely something else causing the transistors to fail. Find out what that is. If the transistor does not smoke, I would probably replace it in the other VIPs.

Occasionally a bad batch of parts will still sneak through vendors' QA. It does not happen often these days. But back in 1983 it did happen to my Special 130. Defective output transistor replaced under warranty, and the tech mentioned that Peavey had received a bad batch of transistors from the vendor.

I do not know how to bypass the power amp so you can just use the headphones, but I would expect it to be possible.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

stratpurist

Post by stratpurist » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm

There is a schematic available for this amp. My free advice would be to verify the voltages before replacing the power transistor. Also, make sure you clean the heat sink surface and apply new heat sink pasted when you replace the power transistor. Good luck and let us know how it went.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

bikerbomber

Post by bikerbomber » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:49 am

"However as you have multiple VIP 2's with this same smoking transistor, I might try replacing the transistor in one of the VIPs. If it smokes again, there is likely something else causing the transistors to fail. Find out what that is. If the transistor does not smoke, I would probably replace it in the other VIPs."

I will look into this. Thank you so much. I have no idea why I never received any notifications of your replies.