Firmware upgrade issues

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
christkenddy

Firmware upgrade issues

Post by christkenddy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:00 am

Wow, this really is a passage of rites getting going with the vypyr.
Finally got the midi working on my tube 60 and thought to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.70 currently on 1.55).
Got my midi interface communicating with the amp OK, but the upload kept hanging up (amp led's stopped spinning) at 17% everytime after quite a few attempts.
Downloaded version 1.66 and the same happens?
Downloaded version 1.58 from Washburn Tabu's useful link page and voila, this version updated OK?????????
OK I thought, I need to go through the updates one at a time, but no, version 1.65 hangs up after 17% again?
Can't be the midi cable now it has worked once, so what is the trick here?
Ultimately I want to work with the librarian, so god knows what learning curve is involved here?
Uploading with midi reminds me of when I was a kid in the early eighties trying to load games onto an old commordore computer using a casette tape and watching the squiggly lines for an eternity only to have the game hang up moments from the end, so I am having some nostalgic moments amongst the frustration.
Any clues anybody? and why can't we use the USB interface on the front of the amp for firmware updates?
Kenddy mini militia apk or download instaGold

JamesPaul

Re: Firmware upgrade issues

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:34 pm

christkenddy wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:00 am
Wow, this really is a passage of rites getting going with the vypyr.
Finally got the midi working on my tube 60 and thought to upgrade to the latest firmware (1.70 currently on 1.55).
Got my midi interface communicating with the amp OK, but the upload kept hanging up (amp led's stopped spinning) at 17% everytime after quite a few attempts.
Downloaded version 1.66 and the same happens?
Downloaded version 1.58 from Washburn Tabu's useful link page and voila, this version updated OK?????????
OK I thought, I need to go through the updates one at a time, but no, version 1.65 hangs up after 17% again?
Can't be the midi cable now it has worked once, so what is the trick here?
Ultimately I want to work with the librarian, so god knows what learning curve is involved here?
Uploading with midi reminds me of when I was a kid in the early eighties trying to load games onto an old commordore computer using a casette tape and watching the squiggly lines for an eternity only to have the game hang up moments from the end, so I am having some nostalgic moments amongst the frustration.
Any clues anybody? and why can't we use the USB interface on the front of the amp for firmware updates?
You have to uprade to 1.66, before you can use USB for firmware updates. I would not recommend going to 1.70, as it was a Beta version. I would likely stop at 1.66.

The fix for the MIDI update hangs was to just keep trying as it is a bit of an asynchronus communication. It may help if you restart ypur computer clean and power cycle your Vypyr before trying the MIDI update. At one point there was a list of known working MIDI interfaces, but I expect the interfaces and MIDI drivers have alll improved since 2008 and anything should work.

Be sure you truly want to work with the Librarian. These thing are 14 years old and there have been a couple recent reports of them bricking on update atttempts.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.