Vypyr X1 reviews

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
jamesban

Vypyr X1 reviews

Post by jamesban » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 am

My daughter is learning guitar. She seems to be picking it up pretty well. All the peavey bass stuff Ive had over the years I have really liked. I cannot find 1 review of the X1 online. I figured Peavey would have sent some out to some Youtube channels or guitar sites to review but the only thing I could find were a couple sites that just copied and pasted the info directly for Peaveys site and did not test the amp. I read some reviews about the first version of the vypyr and the reviews were ok but not great.

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr X1 reviews

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:12 pm

jamesban wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 am
My daughter is learning guitar. She seems to be picking it up pretty well. All the peavey bass stuff Ive had over the years I have really liked. I cannot find 1 review of the X1 online. I figured Peavey would have sent some out to some Youtube channels or guitar sites to review but the only thing I could find were a couple sites that just copied and pasted the info directly for Peaveys site and did not test the amp. I read some reviews about the first version of the vypyr and the reviews were ok but not great.
They are too new to have many reviews. I put some of my initial thoughts in the post below.

I still own my Vypyr 75 and VIP 3. My Vypyr VIP 3 is my most utilized amp these days, and I do have plenty of other options. But while I likely will not upgrade, I think you can not go wrong with these new Vypyr X Series amps.

Slight rant here. Peavey amps get a lot of bad-mouthing and they have for years. But they also get a lot of use by many, many, professional musicians. Let your ears be the judge, not some amp snob on a gear forum. Rant off.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=52622&sid=560fc058 ... 70#p335498
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

jamesban

Post by jamesban » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:15 pm

Cool thanks. I really don't know much about guitar but for bass I love all the old black widow peavey's. I did prefer ampeg for my upright bass but peavey for electric by far. I'll give the vypyr a shot.

Lissitzky

Post by Lissitzky » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:47 pm

I got my x3 a few months ago the only thing that I was disappointed about was the bass sim for guitar wasn't in sync with my recording program the guitar was off a little also I had to change the sample rate on my recording program from 44kHZ to 96kHz and the guitar is in sync but the bass sim is still off and using the drop D setting is a little off for recording anything coming in on a low can cause the driver to get buggy not sure which end it is I use the USB output straight into my computer this isn't the best way to record but this is how I use this amp as far as the amp itself it has plenty of great presets and sounds good the bass presets are also really good sounding with my mini squire bass the thing about amps is its always the price company's make affordable amps and higher end more expensive amps you get what you pay for the x3 is the best sounding solid state amp that I've used for recording from a USB out straight into the computer it's not noisy its clean and even the bass sounds really good it's well worth the money its a solidly made amp not cheaply done hopefully there will be some pro's reviewing it on utube soon I'm positive it will get good reviews

Here is my soundcloud page all these recordings are originals on the x3 with basic free programs eq all i added very little
https://soundcloud.com/user-756811563?f ... -f5uCrx4hU

stratpurist

Post by stratpurist » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:00 am

I have both VYPR and VIP guitar amps. For a beginner I'd recommend a used VYPYR which can be found on facebook or craigslist for $100 or less.
FWIW, I've used my VYPYR 30 and 75 for club gigs for many years now and they do the job very well.

I'm sure the X series are cool but the bells and whistles would be overwhelming for a beginner, IMHO.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210

Tibor5000

Post by Tibor5000 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:11 am

I've been playing my X1 for about a month now and I can say that I love the little guy. I've downsized over the years no longer performing live. I used to have a 6505, some cheaper Randall stacks, and a 70s twin reverb' amongst other various little amps. I traded my Roland Cube for the X1 and am not at all disappointed.

For anyone jamming in their room this amp is just fine. I have not tried recording with it yet nor have I used the app for adjustments. Out of the box there are 8 presets available for electric guitar, 4 for acoustic, and 4 for bass. These are all very well picked out to be usable settings for most styles of music. Selecting and adjusting new settings is quite simple and quick, saving the new settings took me a minute and required checking the manual. There are a couple effects like synth that I have no use for yet but I still had fun messing around with them.

Bass emulator is mediocre but I've never cared for them to begin with. However the acoustic emulator through my coil-split humbuckers in the middle position sounds amazing, best I've used, and there's plenty of tweekability for tonal range there to hone in on excellent tone.

I was sold on the amp after I plugged a bass guitar in and found that even with just the 8" speaker that there's plenty of power and volume in that department. Jammed with a friend using it and had no issues at all. I used an electric-acoustic through it and was very pleased as well. Getting home I used my acoustic with a drop-in pickup and it worked equally well.

For the price the X1 is hard to beat for what it does, and I do miss my 6505 alot so it's nice to have this in it's place. It's not quite as dynamic as the tube amp when rolling down the volume but far superior to the Roland Cube I was using.

Only gripe is that you have to spend quite a bit (in comparison to the price of the amp) to get the Sanpera footswitch rather than having a simple 1/4" channel-switch option.. I do not have a Sanpera yet as I've been having a hard time finding out how compatible all the features of the Sanpera II are with the X1. Or if I should just go with the Sanpera I. So I can't provide any review in that regard.

I gave guitar lessons at our local music store for 3 years and overall I would recommend this to a beginner because it offers so many options for the future if they stick with it, rather than getting a super cheap amp that offers little inspiration and would quickly need to be upgraded once the student gets more interested. My first amp was so junky that I usually played unplugged with my electric.. that's not good.

Hope this was helpful.