Vypyr Tube 120 Mod

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Kidderman66

Vypyr Tube 120 Mod

Post by Kidderman66 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I bought a used T120 combo about four years ago. It had been barely used and was in pristine condition. I didn’t need another amp but it was an offer I couldn’t refuse. As I got to know the amp, I couldn’t believe how versatile it was. Some great sounds and effects. My first instinct was to update the firmware. However, on advice from members such as Dalrymple, I decided to leave it well alone. I never gigged the amp, just bedroom use and some home recording. From the start, I discovered a problem where the heat from the power valves was melting the glue on the rear plastic facia, causing the facia to bubble off in a large area behind the valve enclosure, even at low volumes. I also found that I couldn’t use the amp with an attenuator in order to crank it at bedroom levels, which was frustrating. I spoke with Nick at Black Magic Amplification here in the UK, after which I sent the amp to him. He fitted a small computer fan behind the power valve enclosure. Solved the problem of the facia coming off during use. He also modded the amp so I could attenuate it by plugging the attenuator (Audiostorm Hotbox 125 made in the UK) into the extension speaker output. I can’t see how such a monster amp would need an extension speaker anyway. I can now push the valves at decreasing output levels, 30%, 10%, 3% or 1%. Probably the best investment I’ve ever made in an amp. It’s a keeper, even if it takes up a fair amount of real estate in my home studio.

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr Tube 120 Mod

Post by JamesPaul » Thu May 27, 2021 11:11 pm

Nice win for you! The Power Sponge on the original Vypyrs wasn't designed to be a true attenuator. There is a Topic here where it was discussed.

120 watts is just stupid loud these days. I have several 100+ watt amps and I could not give them away as no one really needs that much power unless they are playing stadiums. Even then, it may be arguable.

But your T120 still has everything the Vypyrs offered and it is now practical at home or studio levels with the added attenuator.

I do not recall anyone mentioning the T120 heat issue before. Still, Peavey uses a similar fan solution in their Classic 50's to get 50 watts out of 4 EL84's without melting anything. I have been known to point a desk fan at the back of my Classic 30 which is only going for 30 watts out of 4 EL84's.

It is good to see people are still rocking their Vypyrs. They are going on 13 years old, so I think that is impressive.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.