Vypyr VIP-1 problem. Rotary encoders bad?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
RKnack

Vypyr VIP-1 problem. Rotary encoders bad?

Post by RKnack » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm

I just bought a used VIP-1. It sounds pretty decent, but when I try to adjust the reverb and delay controls, they don't work properly. No matter which direction I turn the knobs, the LED's only move clockwise, to a "higher" setting. If I turn the knobs V-E-R-R-R-Y slowly counter-clockwise, the LED's SOMETIMES go that direction as well, for one or two steps, but then inevitably go clockwise again regardless of the direction I turn the knobs. Only way I have found to get the level back down again (since I haven't saved any settings) is to turn the amp off and back on again. Do the rotary encoders go bad after a while? Do they just get dirty? Can they be cleaned with electronics cleaner, or will I likely need to replace them? Or is the problem most likely something else altogether?

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr VIP-1 problem. Rotary encoders bad?

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:20 am

They can be cleaned with electronics cleaner.

viewtopic.php?t=41287

viewtopic.php?t=40242
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

RKnack

Post by RKnack » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks - DEOXIT fixed the problem. Stuff is expensive for the amount you get, but it has lubricants and corrosion inhibitors that CRC contact cleaner doesn't.

Atish

Post by Atish » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:18 pm

I cheaply fixed the encoder bug. I soldered the encoder legs with a soldering iron and rotated the shaft a few times. I achieved the same improvement when I heated the metal housing of the encoder at 100-150 °C with a hot air gun.
It is likely that the lubricant in the encoder will thicken over time and damage the contact.