Ageing of Series 1 Vypyr 30

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dalrymple

Ageing of Series 1 Vypyr 30

Post by dalrymple » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:31 am

My go to jammer for more than a decade, I picked up this 30w Series 1 Vypyr used for about $120 in '08. I play it nearly every day in my studio, and it is used mostly for recording these days. I noticed a couple of months ago when cold it made staticy, crackling noises, like a tube amp would if a power tube was getting to the end. If I let it warm up a bit before plugging in the guitar, it would quiet down. Sprayed everything, touched and reconnected, etc.

Today, I let it warm up and plugged in. The noise was very faint, but audible to me when I stopped playing. Faint, but still audible. . Done as a recording amp, but still fine for practice and jamming. I have a 30 head I can sub in the studio. I'l probably slip another chassis into the custom cab I did.

Point being, I had a 15 that went the same route over time. After 12 years it is breaking down. Hope my Tube 60 has a lot more in it. Nothing else I have owned makes me smile as much.

Long Live Vypyrs!
Dalrymple
Attachments
HPIM1755.JPG
HPIM1755.JPG (167.23 KiB) Viewed 4873 times

JamesPaul

Re: Ageing of Series 1 Vypyr 30

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I need to check on my 75. It has been dormant in the basement studio for a couple years. I have been using my VIP III when needed.

Hopefully it is only a component degrading, which could be replaced. I still have a solid state amp from the 80's and tube amps from the 90's going strong. Long live the Vypyrs and all Peaveys!
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:10 am

Deterioration of the amp has rendered it toast. It works for a moment, then loses about 1/3 its volume and background noises get into the mix. Too bad, I really had this one set up just the way it sounded best on the few settings I use regularly in the studio. Great amps for recording without a mic, which saves a LOT of time and re-takes. I have a mint unit from a friend, but it doesnt sound quite the same yet. I'll get it dialed in for studio use and put it to work soon.
Dalrymple

bgh

Post by bgh » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 pm

That's really too bad. I love the surf green look of that amp.

My Tube-60 still sounded good and still played nicely. The only problem was it started to re-boot at all the wrong times. I hope yours doesn't do that. Mine was relegated to home use.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:24 am

UPDATE; The green unit may not be bad. I hooked up a nearly new 30 watter and got the same background noises. I swapped out jack boxes, went direct, etc, tried different outlets in the room. Bottom line is the vypyrs are picking up something in the line and it is producing the background noise. All the jacks in the room do it. Gonna try a non vypyr amp later today to see if it picks it up in there. Dirty signal BS. Crappy Furman wont clean it up either, tried that. The volume drop is just a jack thing, sometimes it needs a jiggle to deliver at full power. If it isnt one thing its another.
OK, doesnt make the noises in my garage. Other Vypyrs dont either. Something in that bedroom line is picking up interference from somewhere.
At least it appears the green amp is still viable for recording, IF I can find a quiet powersource somewhere else in the house to feed it. One more pain in the ass to complicate recording.
Stay tuned, kids.
Dalrymple

VSW

Post by VSW » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:17 pm

Glad to hear that there is some hope for the green unit. It looks Great, and you've put a lot of work into it. :D
Vaughan