Vypyr VIP 3 sound/tone issue

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Exodus5656

Vypyr VIP 3 sound/tone issue

Post by Exodus5656 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 am

I am not sure exactly what would be causing this issue, but regardless I want to fix it asap! The issue I am having started a few months back. I have a Schecter Demon 7 with Mick Thompson Blackouts in drop A and one day I noticed that the amp would pick up a signal and play the note then cut out. The volume on my guitar was 100% so I checked to see if the wires or the knobs were loose then swapped the cable. Well no luck. Then I decided to pull the battery and test it. The battery tested around the expected 8.X-9V. I swap it for a brand new battery and don't have the problem for a little while. After that point I figured the sound issue was related to my guitar in some way. I constantly hear static and popping when the amp is not active and the volume is at zero and the power sponge is at zero. Here recently, while sick, I decided I would play instead of lay in bed. The tone sounded off and regardless of adjustments in the EQ I could not get the tone back. Again, I assumed it was either string swap related, related to my head cold, or a combination of the two. I have since recovered from the cold and no longer have any ear/nose symptoms, yet my amp still can't get to the right tone it was for over a year. I plugged in my phone to listen to a song and it sounded as if the speaker was blown with added distortion or close to a cellphone speaker in a bowl/tube. I have noticed that in clean models or in the clean "channel" option for various models I still have the extra noise and my low E and low A strings have a smidge of distortion.

Even after adjusting the EQ, Factory Reset, Making sure to push firmware v1.62, checking all wires in my guitar, trying EQ again, pulling speaker to check for any damage, looking over PCBs for any obvious blown/burnt components or areas on the boards that look/smell burnt I have found nothing. All my ribbon cables are secure, my speaker doesn't have any visible damage, yet my tone sounds like a small speaker in a bowl/tube. I had my wife listen to the sound from both the speaker and through the headphones, herself having no prior ear issues, she confirmed for me that it wasn't just my ears. Same sound problem from speaker and headphones. So, I am pretty sure the speaker is fine. I would love to have access to a repair manual so that I can go through a set of troubleshooting steps to find the issue then order the component that needs to be replaced and replace it or to have a schematic of all the boards with ideal/acceptable values for each component so that I can thoroughly test the boards out and figure out what is causing this problem.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I love this amp, the versatility of it, many different models and presets, and I would hate to see it go. If I cannot fix it then I will have to look into selling it or just dealing until I have enough cash laying around to get a new amp.

Thank you for your time and input.

Exodus5656

Vyper VIP 3 sound issue

Post by Exodus5656 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello all! I have had my VIP3 for over a year now and it’s starting to have some issues. I purchased it second hand from a guy that wanted to pick up guitar again. Long story short he ended up selling it all to me. The amp had an issue cutting out and sustaining notes during the summer. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago I wanted to play since I have been very busy with work I played and could not get my tone right. After that I started cleaning out the garage and put some music on and noticed it sounded almost like a blown speaker with very little bass and added distortion. Last night I plugged my headphones To play and the same issue is still there so it isn’t the speaker. Even when I switch to a clean model or clean channel the low E and Low A sound off with a touch of distortion. I have pulled the head out and looked over the boards and checked all the ribbon cables. Nothing was loose and I didn’t see any signs of failure on any of the pcbs. I have already done factory reset, flashed v1.62, and checked the speaker. Everything looks right, but the audio output is wrong. Any idea on resources that would help me troubleshoot this issue or where I could by a replacement pcb for it? So far I have only found older vypyr amps and older peavey parts.

Thank you in advance for your help!

dustmite

Re: Vypyr VIP 3 sound/tone issue

Post by dustmite » Fri May 01, 2020 8:09 pm

I just plugged into mine after a few months of not playing, and it's doing the same stuff. Guess no one figured out a fix?