VIP 3 volume

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
jesusrocker

VIP 3 volume

Post by jesusrocker » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Everyone, I just had something really weird happen with my VIP 3. I had a sudden, very high volume change while playing. I kept fiddling with the amp to try and figure out why it happened, but no clues. Then it suddenly cut volume to almost nothing. It's as if the power went to full bore, and then to minimum. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

j_fury68

Re: VIP 3 volume

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Most likely this would be due to a dirty volume pot or power sponge pot. I have the Pro 100. It was doing weird volume drops back and forth. It wasn't imediately and easily detected until it got worse and was actually happening while I was playing. Before then volume was different from one day to the next. I thought it was in my head, lol. De-Oxit is your friend. Cleans them up good. You can try tilting the amp over and spraying it around the pot shaft and letting it seep in while you work the pot shaft back and forth. I dissasymbled mine and also shot it around the seems of the body. One other thing that comes to mind is the cable from the pots to the board. The wires just push into the cable ends and are pinched between blades that cut through the wire insulation. I have seen these work loose and need pushed back in.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Yes I did. in my case it was a loose connection in the chassis.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

jesusrocker

Post by jesusrocker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks, Gentlemen. Yes, j_fury68, De-Oxit is a miracle drug. Never have a home without it.