Vypyr 30 Encoder Issues

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
AhhhBees

Vypyr 30 Encoder Issues

Post by AhhhBees » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a Vypyr 30 which is 6 years old, and for a while now I have been unable to reverse settings, (Low, mid, high, post and pre-gain) I can only go forward. Trying to reduce the amount of gain or eq only increases it. The Stompbox, Amp model and effect do not have this issue. However, I have never done a software update on the amp. I have not been able to find any other records of this issue, and I am hesitant to do an update without trying to find out if this would even be fixed by doing that.

Has anyone on here seen this before, or experienced it themselves? Any help would be appreciated as this is quite annoying. I haven't been able to adjust settings in months.

Fastwind

Re: Vypyr 30 Encoder Issues

Post by Fastwind » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:49 pm

After some time, there could potentially be a build-up of dirt and dust inside the decoders.
I had the same problem with my Vypyr120 head AND my VIP3.
I sprayed some contact-fluid in the pots (with the Vypyr laying on its back), and then vigorishly turning the pots to aply the fluid.
After that, it worked fine once again...

Try it, you've got nothing to lose...

AhhhBees

Post by AhhhBees » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks for that, I'll try that tomorrow. The Amp does usually sit in a pretty dusty room, so I'd imagine it'd be pretty filthy. Hopefully getting to the panel won't be terribly difficult. I'll let you know how that goes, failing that I may have to replace the encoders but I'd like to avoid that.

AhhhBees

Post by AhhhBees » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:44 am

I just finished checking the amp. It fixed it, thanks for that! I took the box out and removed the whole board and cleaned all the switches and encoders while I was there. The knobs were pretty dirty and definitely needed cleaning. Now I can adjust settings once again.