Tube 60 afterlife suggestions.

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
barber76

Tube 60 afterlife suggestions.

Post by barber76 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am

There're reasons I'm not fully satisfied by my tube 60, so decided to try a modeling amp (head) of another manufacturer.
Now, if trade-in value for Vypyr would be super low - and it very well may be - what are the ways to re-use the Vypyr, given that I don't care for its DSP ?
Obvious choice is to make a cab out of combo and throw the board away. This I can do.
But - Vypyr shines when it comes to its tube power section. I'll cry throwing it into a garbage. Do you guys have any ideas if it is possible to reuse Tube 60 power amp with another modeler? Given my non-existent soldering skills.
The weird idea that just kicked into my head, is to connect headphones out of another modeler to Vypyr's aux in. If it is something incredibly stupid, please let me know. :?

j_fury68

Re: Tube 60 afterlife suggestions.

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

The simplest way to utilize the power amp would be the aux in. The 1/8" aux in Jack leaves a bit to be desired. The effects loop mod is cool on these amps and can allow you to use the return Jack to push in signal from another source, but requires soldering and drilling. These amps are still desireable and can fetch around 2 to 3 hundred on the eBay. Don't throw it out. Good luck on your quest for tone.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

barber76

Post by barber76 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm

j_fury68: I knew you'll suggest FX loop mod, remember those thread of yours. :) Great mod! But , really, what exactly is "1/8 aux in Jack leaves a bit to be desired" ? Is it a different signal path? Will have a degraded signal compared to (added by mod) FX in ?
One small thing which sounds tempting about using aux in, is that if I feed it from phones out of another amp, those another amp (I suppose, need to double-check) will cut off its power section, while with FX loop, it will sit active, but with no input.

barber76

Post by barber76 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Small update: just realized that I have ancient Pandora PX4D at home, so plugged its headphone out into Vypyr aux in, and gave it a try. Works perfect. Reminded me how imperfect those old tech was, where each hi-gain note turned into a swarm of bees in 10 sec. Even though Vypyr is so-so in this sense, Pandora is many times worse.
Now, to the good stuff: ooooh, those low-freq ooomph! Really, Vypyr may be worth leaving only as a power amp + cab!
Now, to the concern - I'm afraid, all headphone outs have integrated cab sim. This will hardly do any good to the sound - running already cab-simed sound through a real cab doesn't sound right.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am

If you cant decide and are leaning towards tossing it, I would take the Chassis and turn it into a tube 60 head. I love the sound of the tube 60, and using a straight up tube head at jams, I miss the toys on the Vyypr. The solid state versions just dont sound the same as the tube versions IMHO. I could actually lift that, and use it with cabs I have, instead of lugging the combo, an anvil with a handle. If it still works right, it's worth more whole than trashed. There just arent that many out there, and they only made the tube ones for a very few years.
Dalrymple

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 am

barber76 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm
j_fury68: I knew you'll suggest FX loop mod, remember those thread of yours. :) Great mod! But , really, what exactly is "1/8 aux in Jack leaves a bit to be desired" ? Is it a different signal path? Will have a degraded signal compared to (added by mod) FX in ?
One small thing which sounds tempting about using aux in, is that if I feed it from phones out of another amp, those another amp (I suppose, need to double-check) will cut off its power section, while with FX loop, it will sit active, but with no input.
"1/8 aux in Jack leaves a bit to be desired" = just small, not as robust as the larger 1/4" jacks. As far as signal degradation, it should be of no concern. Looking at the schematics, the "Aux in" gets merged with the analog signal out of the preamp dsp and joins that signal to go to the power amp. So, whatever you put in there should be pretty well what you get at the power amp.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am

dalrymple wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am
"The solid state versions just dont sound the same as the tube versions IMHO."
Dalrymple, Have you tried the Pro yet? I know they are hard to find in local music shops, or even larger chains. I put the pro up next to the tube 60 and liked the pro way better. The tube 60 was great. The pro seemed to have more detail and texture to me. Love the ability to mix those amp models too!

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Was in SF GC last month, they had a VIP2, , 2 other amps, almost nothing. No Vip3, Vypro, not even used peavey stuff. Sad. Still never even seen a Vypro anywhere, ever. Always ready to be convinced that something lighter weight is better.

Dalrymple

barber76

Post by barber76 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am

Vypro? Even well established Bandit is, as dalrymple says, "unicorn". Just out of curiosity I checked which GCs have Bandits in stock in 200mi radius from Austin. NONE. And there's exactly ONE GC in Houston having Vypro in stock. Stocking VIP2 is a very doubtful way to sell people on the Peavey brand.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 pm

The Vypro is a great amp. Unfortunately, and for various reasons, it seemed to be dead before they could get it out the door and on it's own 2 feet.