writing preset to amp not working

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
antkn33

writing preset to amp not working

Post by antkn33 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 pm

The amp is recognized with its midi connection. After loading a preset, I select "write to amp", select a bank and click write. It says the preset was written to the amp. However it doesn't work, the old preset is still there.
On MacOs, VIP 2.

wmjones

Re: writing preset to amp not working

Post by wmjones » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

antkn33 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 pm
After loading a preset, Select "write to amp", select a bank and click write. It says the preset was written to the amp.
If your post describes how you write to amp then you forgot to select a preset. (1, 2, 3 or 4 ), Select a bank button and hold for 2 seconds repeat pressing bank button until you get the preset you want (red, orange, yellow or green). Then press the bank button to save. ( Note this is not using the Sanpera 11 to edit. ) This post was edited.
Last edited by wmjones on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

antkn33

Post by antkn33 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 am

Yes, that's what I do. It works maybe 50% of the time.

Doose

Post by Doose » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 am

The Vypyr Edit app simply does not work properly, at least not with the VIP 2 amp (& I suspect with many others.) When I enquired on Peavey's website they directed me to the Australian distributors who promptly ignored my emails until I threatened to flood them with ever increasing email enquiries. I then got the MOST UNBELIEVABLE ANSWER from them: Quote from Jared Smith of Galactic Music:-
Hi Con
Apologies for the delay, I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of this with Peavey and I finally have an answer.
Presets on the Vypyr VIP2 can only be renamed when a Sanpera II pedal is connected to it. It will not be possible with the Sanpera I pedal.

I imagine you are as amazed as I was with this reply. If this is truly the case, you'd think Peavey would make it very clear to both customers and retailers as, if for no other reason, they could force us into buying the more expensive Sanpera 2. Personally, I think this information came from a bull's backside... But back to your question.

The only way I've found to save my presets into the amp is to follow this complex technique:-
1) With Vypyr Edit running on your computer, select the amp model, stompbox, effects, etc you wish to save using either the controls on the amp or the Vypyr Edit app's interface.
2) Using the Vypyr Edit app, give your preset a name and save it to your computer.
3) Using either the "ABCD" buttons on the amp under "Instrument Type" or the Sanpera footswtich, select the preset slot (in whichever Bank,) you wish to place your new preset into, and then, using the Edit app select "Open Preset" and load your saved preset into the Edit app. After doing this you should see that the Vypyr Edit app is displaying the settings you saved to you new preset but SURPRISE SURPRISE, the name of the displayed preset is still the same as the one that was in that particular preset slot by default. There's nothing you can do about this. For this reason I give my presets names that include their intended Bank and Preset slot names (e.g. Brit_blues_chorus_B2_P1), so I can remember where they are meant to go in case something goes wrong (I'll get back to that in a moment).
4) Once the preset (albeit with the wrong name showing), is loaded into the Edit app in the correct Bank & Preset position, you need to manually save it to the amplifier. This is done by holding down the button next to the selected Bank in the "Instrument Type" column on your amp (next to the input jack), until the LEDs on all 4 Banks Flash 4 or 5 times, then release it.

At this stage your preset should be in position and you should be able to select it using the "Banks" button or your footswitch, and it should still be there next time you switch the amp on. The presets you've loaded will still show the name of the default presets on the Vypyr Edit interface but the settings should be the ones you've chosen.

Now for the next problem... As you've no doubt noticed if you use the Sanpera footswitch, there's a lag of 1 second or so when switching from one preset to the other. While this is not an issue playing in your bedroom, it becomes a problem when you're playing in your Garage Band or jamming with friends, when you want to change from your "Rhythm" setting to a "Lead" preset without the embarrassing silence caused by the lag. After reading up on Peavey forums, videos, etc, I found that this is because the Preset doesn't change until you lift your foot from the footswitch's button. The helpful souls in the fore-mentioned sites suggest that the best way to avoid the problem is to depress the footswitch prior to the change and lift one's foot at the required time. I found the problem with this strategy when my bass player said: "Your guitar didn't sound any different when you hit your footswitch". After re-doing it I had to admit that my carefully crafted "Lead" preset sounded exactly the same as the "Rhythm". It took me hours of scanning the internet looking for a reason why my preset was reverting to a copy of the one next to it until "the penny finally dropped".
Apparently all the "Internet geniuses" who had suggested the strategy had not actually done it themselves or they would have realized that that holding the footswitch button down for longer than 1 second writes the preset you are using to the memory slot of the preset you are trying to change into. I'm now in the process of trying to find out if there is some way to "turn off" the "write to preset" function while using the Sanpera but I'm not holding out much hope. Looks like it's the lag or nothing. Good luck. If it's not too late, I suggest you take the whole lot back to the shop & buy something made by a company that actually cares if their products work.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:13 pm

I have VIP-1 Love the Amp. But Vypyr-Edit-1 Does not work 75% of the time. Great when it did. I would like to find a solution, otherwise I will just give up all together with using it, A shame really.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:22 pm

antkn33 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 pm
The amp is recognized with its midi connection. After loading a preset, I select "write to amp", select a bank and click write. It says the preset was written to the amp. However it doesn't work, the old preset is still there.
On MacOs, VIP 2.

Saving Presets on VIP 1 and VIP 2
To save changes to the current preset over a different preset, press and hold its bank button until its LED begins to blink. The LEDs for any other banks in which the preset can be saved will also blink. Select the bank to save in by tapping the desired bank button – it will continue to blink but the other bank LEDs will turn off. If the bank LED is not the same color of the desired preset to overwrite, tap LED again until the color matches the desired number. To complete the save, press and hold the bank button until the LED stops blinking.
Pressing the Tap Tempo button cancels the save.

This is copied from my VIP manual.
8) HAPPY DAYS: