Vypyr Pro MSDI level is really low, something is wrong

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Ktone

Vypyr Pro MSDI level is really low, something is wrong

Post by Ktone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 am

I have a Vypyr Pro 100 which is great in almost every way except for a problem with the MSDI connection. Until recently I connected the Vypyr via USB directly to my DAW (Reaper) and had totally fine volume levels coming up in Reaper. Then, I recently bought and connected a Behringer UMC404HD audio interface to my computer so that I can connect mics and my other non-USB amps to Reaper. So this Behringer box is now my audio interface and I thought that I would just use the Vypyr's MSDI connection into the Behringer box and not use the Vypyr's own USB audio interface capabilities, otherwise I would be constantly switching what my computer sees as my soundcard between the Vypyr and the Behringer frequently.

BUT, when I connect the Vypyr via MSDI, the levels are super low in Reaper, even if I turn the MSDI level dial all the way up. MDSI is a line level interface right? So I am running an XLR out of the MSDI connector into one of the the Behringer's combo input jacks (using XLR on that end too) and setting the input switch on that box to Line (instead of Instrument, it accepts unbalanced input too). But the levels are super, super low compared to other device connections that I am making to the audio interface. I've connected a microphone to the audio interface and also connected a couple of other amplifiers with line out connections (both XLR and TRS type) and get totally fine levels in Reaper from all of them. Only the Vypyr is outputting at a too-low level. I can barely hear the Vypyr input through my monitors or headphones. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I can't imagine that I should have to do much else with a line level output right? Even if I push up the input level in Reaper to +6db, it makes almost no difference in the incoming level from the amp.

To summarize, it's not the audio interface or Reaper, since I am having no issues connecting other amps and mics through the Behringer box to Reaper. Only the Vypyr MSDI is producing these low level issues in Reaper. Anyone else having good results with MSDI to an audio interface? Peavey, any input here?

Roger Crimm

Re: Vypyr Pro MSDI level is really low, something is wrong

Post by Roger Crimm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

The MSDI is designed to plug into the mic input of a console, so it is mic level not line level. Try that and see if you get better results. I would start with it about halfway up on the level control, and go from there.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Ktone

Post by Ktone » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Roger Crimm wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm
The MSDI is designed to plug into the mic input of a console, so it is mic level not line level. Try that and see if you get better results. I would start with it about halfway up on the level control, and go from there.
My audio interface does not specifically have a switch for mic input (even though the Behringer literature promotes the Midas mic preamps), it only has Line or Instrument settings so I guess they are saying Balanced/Unbalanced since they use combo jacks, so I am leaving it on Line. It seems that if I really crank up the gain on the interface for the input and also turn the MSDI level all the way up on the amp, I do get a more usable sound level but it is still WAY below what I get with a microphone (both dynamic and condenser) and my other amps. Not very happy with the results. I don't really want to go through the hassle of actually mic'ing the amp so I tried to use a 3.5mm TRS Y splitter to dual 1/4 (tip and ring separated) from the headphones to my audio interface and that gave me the volume levels that I would expect. I guess it's not 4x12 emulation but it produces a better sounding and more mixable sound than MSDI. That being said, it does not seem right that I should have to resort to recording from the phones jack. I know I can mic the amp but the MSDI is there to make that process more convenient. Is it possible that I have an amp with a faulty MSDI? The warranty is 2 years and I have had it not even 1.5 years. What do I do for warranty claims? I bought it from Guitar Center online. Do they take warranty issues on site or is there some list of authorized service centers? I think I want to have it checked out.

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

You need to test it with something other than that interface before you can be sure the MSDI is the problem. Try plugging into a regular mixer input and see what results you get there.

If there is a problem, contact [email protected] and they can direct you regarding warranty.
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Ktone

Post by Ktone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 am

Roger Crimm wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm
You need to test it with something other than that interface before you can be sure the MSDI is the problem. Try plugging into a regular mixer input and see what results you get there.

If there is a problem, contact [email protected] and they can direct you regarding warranty.
Hi Roger, I'm going to have to take responsibility for the MSDI issue that I've been complaining about. The problem is not anything in the Vypyr Pro. I have been running some modulation effects through the effects loop and they are all true bypass boxes so instead of just removing the effects while troubleshooting this MSDI level issue, I just shut off all of the effects in order to eliminate any effect from the level controls on the stomp boxes. What I forgot is that I also have a passive attenuator in the loop which lets me control the Vypyr's output more noticeably than with the built in power sponge. I overlooked turning the dial all the way up on the attenuator so THAT has been limiting the level of what is outputting from the MSDI. Through the Vypyr's speaker, even with the attenuator turned down a lot , I still get reasonable volume levels but I guess the MSDI being a mic level output is very much affected by the attenuator's reduction of the amount of signal sent to the Vypyr's power amp. Once I turned up the attenuator all the way (and the power sponge was already at 100%), I actually had to back off on the MDSI output dial or I would get unwanted clipping. Now things are sounding the way I expected from my audio interface to Reaper. Yay, problem solved!

As an aside, in my various dial twisting scenarios when I engaged the ground lift button somehow the amp started receiving the signal of a pretty local AM radio station (15 miles) and that signal would bleed into the MSDI signal. For my configuration, the ground lift control is completely unusable. Is this something that you've seen before? I would hope not, but luckily for me I have not experienced any hum in the MSDI signal.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 am

Thank goodness for the forum! Had the pro for a couple years and am just now getting to try out the MSDI. Had the very same issue. I thought it was broke. Was using the effects loop with a level adjustment box I made right before the return Jack. Couldn't get a thing to go through. Also didn't realize that the stand by switch would mute the MSDI as well.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.