VIP 1 Bummer

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dalrymple

Re: VIP 1 Bummer

Post by dalrymple » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 am

So far so good with the 10" Celestion in the VIP1. Still breaking in at fewer than 10 hours use, but sounds good and really performs like a 20 w amp now. That said, so far there is a certain grittiness and grind that the stock speaker has the larger one does not, so far. Hoping as it breaks in it gets looser and grindier.

Stock, in the studio, this thing is KILLER. On stage with the big 10", it is a real harp amp, but a cleaner version of the stock animal. Either way, a worthy upgrade for an amp you can pick up used for about $50. We are digging it.
Dalrymple.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 am

We played a club gig last night, and the harp player decided to go with the Vypyr VIP 1, with its new 10" Celestion speaker, hoping it would not get drowned out by the band. In stock configuration, this was not a gigable amp.

It is now. Wow. The speaker is completely broken in. The speaker cuts thru the mix, has plenty of headroom on the master, and the speaker now has some of the grind of the stock speaker. It now performs like a 20 w amp. He normally uses a Blues Jr(15W Tube). This baby sounds better and had plenty of juice. GO for it, harp guys. GREAT sound.
Dalrymple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrwRQ0q8-us
Last edited by dalrymple on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgh

Post by bgh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 am

Very cool. These amps were (and still are) excellent amps.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:55 am

dalrymple wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am
Played the jam last night for the first time with the 10" celestion in the vip 1. It did just what we hoped it would. Upped his volume with the harp to the point where he is being heard throughout the room, and even when it got loud, he was not buried in the din. Once the speaker breaks in a little more, it should really be very useable in any live situation. Nice upgrade for only $38. Turns the amp from a practice amp/toy to a giggable harp amp that sounds more like the 20 watts it is rated at.

Stay tuned kids. This upgrade is NOT for professionals! WARNING, WARNING!!! YOU CAN TRY THIS AT HOME!
Dalrymple
I did this with my rage 258, and the it is now a giggable amp. The difference in the 10" speaker is absolutely night and day. The 258 sounded good at low volumes, but got very squirrely when turning it up past 2/3 ish. Now its amazing at all volumes. Turned my tube snob bandmate's head.