Vypyr Pro -- Master Volume at zero, amp is still loud??

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Rocco Crocco

Vypyr Pro -- Master Volume at zero, amp is still loud??

Post by Rocco Crocco » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:23 pm

I was having trouble with my Vypyr, a few months ago it went into an authorized repair shop. The amp ended up getting a new chassis.I took the amp home and put it in storage. I finally got around to trying it just now. When the Master knob on the front panel is set to zero, the amp is still pretty loud. This is true even with the sponge set to the lowest setting.

Its still under warranty, but its a long drive to deliver it to the shop. Anyone else run into this problem? Any way to fix myself?

Jsnstanley

Re: Vypyr Pro -- Master Volume at zero, amp is still loud??

Post by Jsnstanley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:09 am

Try a “Factory Reset” ?

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:52 am

Factory reset... yeah the manual says to hold the inner encoder to get into factory reset mode. I tried this and nothing happens.

I am so sorry I paid good money for this amp.

Nothing works as it should. I followed firmware update instructions to the letter... didn't work. Volume knob? Doesn't work... Want an amp that the line out is quiet enough to use? Look elsewhere. A simple factory reset? Doesn't work.

EDIT -- Oh goody. I just found a way to perform a factory reset using the Editor. Only that doesn't do anything either, except provide the computer spin thingy on my laptop screen. That's two ways Peavey tells you to do a factory reset, neither of which works.

Landshark

Post by Landshark » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:09 am

you should have just returned it if possible - sounds like you got a dud.

EVERY manufacturer makes lemons - Rolls Royce, Apple, Soldano, etc.

mine was kinda fizzy when using more than one amp model, I exchanged it, and am really happy with my Vypro.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:54 am

I don't want to send bad vibes to anyone who got a good version of this amp. I am genuinely glad its working out for you.This is my 2nd one (chassis that is... everything but the speaker and cab), and its still not right. This will now be a 3rd time to take it to the local tech's shop. 90 minutes round trip each time. That's 4.5 hours of driving... all because nobody (including my local tech) tested the new friggin chassis to see that the volume control actually worked.

A Peavey tech (not my local authorized repair guy) actually told me to use a 2 prong ungrounded adaptor (yeah, those things that cost $1 that convert your 3 prong plug to 2 prong) to solve the 1st issue I was having. Not only is this dangerous, it didn't fix the issue.
Last edited by Rocco Crocco on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:55 am

Last edited by Rocco Crocco on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Rocco Crocco wrote:.
This sound like the volume Pot (control)is not doing anything when you turn it up or down. It could be that the cable connecting the volume pot to the power amp board inside the chassis is not properly connected. I once got a amp that was not working very cheap that I wanted for parts. when I removed the chassis I found two cables not plugged in fully. That amp works great now.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:16 pm

wmjones wrote:
Rocco Crocco wrote:.
This sound like the volume Pot (control)is not doing anything when you turn it up or down. It could be that the cable connecting the volume pot to the power amp board inside the chassis is not properly connected. I once got a amp that was not working very cheap that I wanted for parts. when I removed the chassis I found two cables not plugged in fully. That amp works great now.
Thanks for the reply. The volume pot works in that the amp get louder when you turn it up. The problem is that when the knob is all the way down (zero) the amp is still pretty loud. It should be silent, but it is at about the volume of a medium/loud conversation.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:45 am

Sounds possible bad volume cable connection or wrong volume pot value. Need a print to confirm pot value on the amp. Maybe someone at Peavey can provide.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:55 am

j_fury68 wrote:Sounds possible bad volume cable connection or wrong volume pot value. Need a print to confirm pot value on the amp. Maybe someone at Peavey can provide.
Hopefully that will be the issue. I am dropping off at the repair tech's place tomorrow.