Vypyr VIP 1 - high pitched noise

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dani777

Vypyr VIP 1 - high pitched noise

Post by dani777 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:36 am

Hi, my Vypyr VIP 1 is making an annoying high pitched noise. It's most noticeable when used with bass, but I can also hear it on the clean channels of the guitar amp models. It gets louder as I turn up the master volume, it's there both through the speaker and the headphones jack.
Did anyone else have such problem with this amp? I'm thinking about bad capacitors, could this be the problem? I opened the amp and checked visually, the capacitors don't look like there is something wrong with them, but a couple of them seem to be making the same noise I hear through the speaker(I connected my headphones to mute the speaker for this test). I can't post a recording at the moment, but it sounds like playing a note with sine wave sound on a keyboard.

Here are some pictures:
This is a screenshot from Reaper's ReaFir plugin - the thing at 3kHz is the noise I'm talking about.

These are the capacitors that make the same noise.

Aerosquirrel

Re: Vypyr VIP 1 - high pitched noise

Post by Aerosquirrel » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi, did you solve this problem?

I've got the same issue with VIP2. But I don't think it's because of that capacitors – most probably, transformer, it's really noisy. But, I may be wrong. It can be DSP board, as well.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm hearing about this problem from other sources as well. Has anyone found a resolution yet? I would imagine that replacing the power supply (should be directly available from Peavey Parts) would fix this, but that is just an assumption.

Video Example

Glen

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm

gcolbert wrote:I'm hearing about this problem from other sources as well. Has anyone found a resolution yet? I would imagine that replacing the power supply (should be directly available from Peavey Parts) would fix this, but that is just an assumption.

Video Example

Glen
I listened to your video example. That is a 60 cycle hum. My VIP 1 does not have that hum, but I was able to duplicate that sound by setting the amp modal to trace acoustic and touching the plug tip with my finger. So I believe it is the power supply board. It could also be fluorescent lighting in the room.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Aerosquirrel

Post by Aerosquirrel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 pm

wmjones wrote: I listened to your video example. That is a 60 cycle hum. My VIP 1 does not have that hum, but I was able to duplicate that sound by setting the amp modal to trace acoustic and touching the plug tip with my finger. So I believe it is the power supply board. It could also be fluorescent lighting in the room.

Curious, but the noise disappears in the tuner mode. So, there is a connection between that noise and the amount of the working LED's on the front panel, the more lights – the more noise. And – the USB-output is absolutely clean. Could it still be power supply? Frankly speaking, I'm a bit worried to order a new PS here – it costs about $100 in the USA, plus postal service, plus terrible Brazilian tax of 60%, plus 1-2 months of waiting, and if it won't help, it would be very sad for me. But – that was my first thought, when I found a hissing transformer inside. I'm not sure if it can emit interference to a preamp, or influence to a power filter chain, but anyway, it couldn't be hissing.

About fluorescent lighting – we can exclude it, there's no fluorescent lighting at my home.

Aerosquirrel

Post by Aerosquirrel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi guys, I solved the problem.

There is a linear voltage regulator U2 on the Power Amp board (7805F, the left one on the heatsink). Peavey guys used a substitute 7805A on my board, I suppose it was defected. Fortunately, it burned out by itself, so I changed it to L7805ABV by STMicroelectonics (with open heatsink) and now my Vypyr works just perfectly, with no hum at all.

inks

Post by inks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 am

^ Has anyone else tried this and can confirm?

Maellysaurus

Post by Maellysaurus » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Sorry to revive a 4 year old post but I recently got a used VIP 1, and I had exactly the same problem as OP. High pitched sound when cable plugged in, and high pitched sounds that are in sync with LEDs when cable is unplugged and amp is on standby.

I tried Aerosquirrel's solution and it worked perfectly for me.

I ordered this voltage regulator: https://elmwoodelectronics.ca/products/ ... 805-to-220

And replaced the old one. Zero high pitched noises now and everything works as intended.

Brynod

Post by Brynod » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:10 pm

I CONCUR! changed the 7805 regulator and VOILA! amp is silent now when standing by and is behaving like a good un!

crizchun

Post by crizchun » Thu May 04, 2023 5:20 pm

Aerosquirrel wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

There is a linear voltage regulator U2 on the Power Amp board (7805F, the left one on the heatsink). Peavey guys used a substitute 7805A on my board, I suppose it was defected. Fortunately, it burned out by itself, so I changed it to L7805ABV by STMicroelectonics (with open heatsink) and now my Vypyr works just perfectly, with no hum at all.
I tried changing out the voltage regulator you mentioned
With a new L7805CV

Still having the high pitched sound :(

Do you mind sharing what troubleshooting steps you took to find the exact component that was causing your noise?

Or rather, some ideas on what else could be causing it ?

Winpig

Post by Winpig » Thu May 25, 2023 6:48 am

crizchun wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:20 pm
Aerosquirrel wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I tried changing out the voltage regulator you mentioned
With a new L7805CV

Still having the high pitched sound :(

Do you mind sharing what troubleshooting steps you took to find the exact component that was causing your noise?

Or rather, some ideas on what else could be causing it ?
Hey, I tried the same and it didn't solve it but this did.

Remove the glue from the ribbon connector for the headphone jack, push the connector in more and the noise should go, also make sure that the grounding brackets that screw the board in place are tight enough to be making a good connection.

Hope this helps!

LexWolf

Post by LexWolf » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:07 am

Hello everyone. The same problem on the new Peavey Vypyr X3 (2021). High noise level when the jack cable is connected, the volume is turned off, amplified when the volume is increased
The power supply, amplifier and DSP boards are identical to the Vypyr Vip series, the difference is the added bluetooth module and firmware 1.67
Disassembled the amplifier, poor contact of the housing and the grounding wires due to the coating of the housing. I made a good contact, moved the connectors of the circuit boards.
The problem remains, it emits the same nasty squeak 3kGz

Fuerte

Post by Fuerte » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:34 am

I just got used VIP 2 and it has this 3k noise. Oscilloscope app was showing 2995 Hz exactly. I wonder if this regulator can be changed easily without soldering?

WrldEatr9

Post by WrldEatr9 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:44 am

Fuerte wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:34 am
I just got used VIP 2 and it has this 3k noise. Oscilloscope app was showing 2995 Hz exactly. I wonder if this regulator can be changed easily without soldering?
You've got to solder.

stratpurist

Post by stratpurist » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:04 am

FWIW, and it's not much, my brand new X2 began making the 3Khz noise after only a few hours of use (maybe 3 gigs) - (my vip 2 also has the noise). I found it difficult to imagine the voltage regulator would cause the issue so I took the alternate approach of securing ground connections in the amp. No relief.

At this point, it almost has to be a design flaw given the reports here and on other forums discussing the issue. The only saving grace is that it's not really noticeable when I'm playing.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts" Tip O'Neal
Guitars: 73 stratocaster, 2 Mexi strats, partscaster, 84 Epiphone Sheraton II, 76 Japanese LP clone
Amps: VYPYR 75, VYPYR 30, VIP II, sanpera II, Behringer GMX210