VYPYR "Volume Sponge Mod" + !!! "Volume Pedal Mod" !!!

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
GRE2608

Re: VYPYR "Volume Sponge Mod" + !!! "Volume Pedal Mod" !!!

Post by GRE2608 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:49 am

When you get your pedal done please make another reply along with a pic for others to use as reference.

Thanks again for trying my mod and enjoy your night sessions! :D

BR,
GRE2608

W4RP1G

Post by W4RP1G » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Alright, so I opened it up and double checked all of the wiring, and it was correct. However, I had initially spliced into the ground that went to the master volume, so I decided to add another ground to the chassis. I also swapped out the log pot for a linear pot.

Everything works perfect now! No more issues when turning up the "attenuator" and no more issues with it being bypassed with the master volume at 10. So if anyone is wondering, using an EMG 25k linear pot (tone pot) works great. Here are a few gut shots:

ImageImage

Here's a better pic of the front:

W4RP1G

Post by W4RP1G » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

I think I just discovered an even more useful application of this mod. My Sanpera I pedal was just delivered a few hours ago, and I was excited to finally use the looper. But, there is a pretty serious problem with the looper(I call it a problem, but I've seen one of the mods and a few other people defend it as if it has a purpose). The looper ALWAYS plays back with post gain maxed! As far as I can tell there is no solution to this problem, and I even updated to firmware 1.59 to see if that fixed it. There is a workaround where you use the volume pedal to drop the volume while recording the loop, and then bump it back up for soloing, but this pretty much requires that I keep the post gain maxed for any kind of consistency, especially if I'm switching between presets.

So anyway, keeping the post gain maxed without the "attenuator" mod would be a huge pain in the ass when playing late at night in my apartment(because the master volume is so touchy at low volumes). This mod is definitely saving me from a lot of stress and frustration.

AvivX

Post by AvivX » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Actually there is a built in "knob" that works like the sanpera volume pedal.
when you go to Tuner mode, the post gain works as a volume knob (you can see any leds but its working)

W4RP1G

Post by W4RP1G » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 pm

AvivX wrote:Actually there is a built in "knob" that works like the sanpera volume pedal.
when you go to Tuner mode, the post gain works as a volume knob (you can see any leds but its working)
I just tried it. Seems like Peavey should have made the LEDs work with that.

There are a few problems with using that feature over this mod, the first one being that it doesn't store that volume level, so you have to do it every time you turn the amp off and back on. That opens the door for those scary moments when you forget that your amp volume is at 5 and turn it on.

The second problem being that you are actually just controlling the volume pedal volume, so if you have a Sanpera pedal, it will bypass that feature. So you basically have to choose whether or not you want to use your volume pedal at all, and as I said in my post above, you need to used the volume pedal in order to record loops at a lower volume.

kissmyace

Post by kissmyace » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:33 am

Did the mod on mine. Turned out great. Did scare my self, though. Played it for a while, sounded good. Turned it off, come back later, turn it back on, sound for 1 sec, then nothing. Did this repeatedly, til I had to go to work. Spent the day trying to find a new amp, cause have a gig coming up. Get home, start messing with it again, then notice the Sanpera volume pedal was down -- ugggg :mrgreen:
Peavey stuff:
Wolfgang Special
VK 112
Prowler 112
Vypyr 30
DynaBass 5 string
T-Max bass head
Peavey 410 bass cab

tzeus

Post by tzeus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am

Can i put a 20k pot instead? I couldn't find a 22 one...

GRE2608

Post by GRE2608 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Hello tzeus!

I mention 22k just because "typically" it is considered one of the standardised sizes. Your 20k will do the job just fine!

All the best and please post your results! :)

tzeus

Post by tzeus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:00 am

Hello! I ran into a little problem. I did install the pot, but after that the volume of the amp was very very low, no matter how i turned each of the pots. The second pot was indeed working, but with both knobs to the max the amp's volume was equivalent to the 0.5 master volume without the mod. Is there any chance you could tell me where i was wrong? I have a b20k linear pot(which e presume is the same thing as the master volume pot).

tzeus

Post by tzeus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 am

tzeus wrote:Hello! I ran into a little problem. I did install the pot, but after that the volume of the amp was very very low, no matter how i turned each of the pots. The second pot was indeed working, but with both knobs to the max the amp's volume was equivalent to the 0.5 master volume without the mod. Is there any chance you could tell me where i was wrong? I have a b20k linear pot(which e presume is the same thing as the master volume pot).

Anyone? Help ?

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 pm

tzeus wrote:
tzeus wrote:Hello! I ran into a little problem. I did install the pot, but after that the volume of the amp was very very low, no matter how i turned each of the pots. The second pot was indeed working, but with both knobs to the max the amp's volume was equivalent to the 0.5 master volume without the mod. Is there any chance you could tell me where i was wrong? I have a b20k linear pot(which e presume is the same thing as the master volume pot).

Anyone? Help ?
Here is something to try. Remove the ground (gray) wire and make sure there is no short caused from soldering or one of the pot terminals shorted to pot casing.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

tzeus

Post by tzeus » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:01 am

Hello.
I tried again last night, and it was not working without the ground, but when i attached the ground it was ok, the mod is now working. But i feel like a have a lot of hissing on the distortion models.

zoco

Post by zoco » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi, I'm going to do this mod: Can you explain me how to do this mod, I mean exactly the wires and soldering and the extra ground, I'm a absolutely begginer?. I've got a 22K linear pot.
Thank you very much
Cheers from Spain!!!

W4RP1G wrote:Alright, so I opened it up and double checked all of the wiring, and it was correct. However, I had initially spliced into the ground that went to the master volume, so I decided to add another ground to the chassis. I also swapped out the log pot for a linear pot.

Everything works perfect now! No more issues when turning up the "attenuator" and no more issues with it being bypassed with the master volume at 10. So if anyone is wondering, using an EMG 25k linear pot (tone pot) works great. Here are a few gut shots:

ImageImage

Here's a better pic of the front:

Pet_Peavey

Post by Pet_Peavey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:47 pm

I don't understand has I never have a problem getting great bedroom volume/tone on my 75 Vypyr..maybe the 30 is different but I don't see how it would be..but nice work, I hope it doesn't cause any future headaches for your amp..peace.
2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Peavey Vypyr 75

hmh772

Post by hmh772 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Just did this Mod yesterday and works like a charm. Thanks GRE2608 for the original post. I can now turn volume up to about 5 at bedroom level where as before, I could only turn up to no more than 1. Main volume knob is not touchy any longer. I used a 20K pot instead of the 22k that was originally posted but it still works fine. Also while I was in there, I removed the front panel PCB and cleaned the pots with spray cleaner. The EQ pots were not responsive when I turned them. Took awhile to adjust the sound. When I turned the control knobs, the LEDs would not move unless I turned it VERY slowly. Cleaning them did the trick as they work fine now.