Vypyr 75 USB to Mac Garageband?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
NYStan

Vypyr 75 USB to Mac Garageband?

Post by NYStan » Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 am

I connected my Vypyr 75 to my Mac computer using the USB so I could do some recording on Gargeband. When I hook everything up I go to Preferences and I see Vypyr Interface connection so I click on it. I don't get any sound or even see any sound levels on the computer. Has anyone had this problem? How can I fix it?
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

WashburnTabu

Re: Vypyr 75 USB to Mac Garageband?

Post by WashburnTabu » Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 pm

In the sound preferences pane are you looking at the sound/midi options? It's been awhile but I think there is an "input" and an "output" selection too. Output needs to be the "built-in audio" option. Input needs to be the Vypyr option.
Does it work properly when using the 1/8th stereo input from the vypyr's headphone out? I'm sure it's just an option to sort out.
My name is WT, and I approve this opinion.

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Tue May 24, 2011 7:20 am

WashburnTabu wrote:In the sound preferences pane are you looking at the sound/midi options? It's been awhile but I think there is an "input" and an "output" selection too. Output needs to be the "built-in audio" option. Input needs to be the Vypyr option.
Does it work properly when using the 1/8th stereo input from the vypyr's headphone out? I'm sure it's just an option to sort out.
I go to "System Preferences" on the computer and I click on Vypyr USB Interface. I then go to Garageband and click on "Preferences" and Vypyr USB Interface is clicked on and along with built in audio as an output and I still get no sound and see no sound levels on the computer. I plug in my headphones to the computer and still nothing, I plug it into the amp and I can hear the guitar. It's strange the computer is reading up the Vypyr USB plug but I'm not getting any sound coming out of it. I haven't tried the 1/8th plug from the Vypyr to the computer. Would the quality of the sound be as good as if using the USB connection?
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

dropd

Post by dropd » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

Also,
In GB, did you make sure the monitor is on. This is a screenshot of GB 06, really old but gets the point across I hope. Also, It should say Vyper here too for the input.
Attachments
GB 06 info palette.
GB 06 info palette.
Screen shot 2011-05-24 at 11.20.52 AM.png (23.27 KiB) Viewed 7898 times

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm

dropd wrote:Also,
In GB, did you make sure the monitor is on. This is a screenshot of GB 06, really old but gets the point across I hope. Also, It should say Vyper here too for the input.
OK, you might have found something here. I had to jiggle around the USB plug on the amp a little bit and finally the Vypyr interface shows up on the input. Yet for some reason now I can't do anything with the volume which is completely down.
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Tue May 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Not sure if you've already done this... but if not:

• Create a new track by clicking on the + sign at the bottom left of your GB palette.

• A sign will pop up, choose "Real Instrument Track" and click create.

• A new track will appear (upper left of the palette, directly below any existing tracks). Over to the right, you should see a Track Info window... choose guitar from the list of various instruments, then further to the right choose what guitar effects you want, or choose No Effects.

• Make sure the new track is selected (highlighted blue?) and its record button (round symbol at the left of the speaker symbol) is RED. Click on the record button if it isn't.

• Then select your input source (and monitor on or off) as per usual.

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Tue May 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Rollo wrote:Not sure if you've already done this... but if not:

• Create a new track by clicking on the + sign at the bottom left of your GB palette.

• A sign will pop up, choose "Real Instrument Track" and click create.

• A new track will appear (upper left of the palette, directly below any existing tracks). Over to the right, you should see a Track Info window... choose guitar from the list of various instruments, then further to the right choose what guitar effects you want, or choose No Effects.

• Make sure the new track is selected (highlighted blue?) and its record button (round symbol at the left of the speaker symbol) is RED. Click on the record button if it isn't.

• Then select your input source (and monitor on or off) as per usual.
I've done all that but as of now for some reason I'm unable to turn the volume up just like the picture dropd posted above. For some reason I'm unable to click on the volume to raise it up.
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Tue May 24, 2011 8:05 pm

I haven't used USB as an input source before so I'm not sure why it won't allow you to adjust input levels.

Try going to the GB preferences and click the Audio/Midi tab... from that window, see if you need to make a specific selection in the audio input field (as WashburnTabu mentioned previously)...

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Rollo wrote:I haven't used USB as an input source before so I'm not sure why it won't allow you to adjust input levels.

Try going to the GB preferences and click the Audio/Midi tab... from that window, see if you need to make a specific selection in the audio input field (as WashburnTabu mentioned previously)...
I've done all of that. I had the GB input set for Vypyr USB Interface. I just can't click on and raise up the volume.
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Tue May 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Just above the record level adjustment bar, there is a Input: selector.
The pic below shows Channel 1& 2 (Stereo). You may have to select USB on that one as well?

If you've also already done that, I'm all out of ideas. Perhaps a USB input has an automatic volume level default. If your guitar is already coming through and you can hear it in GB, perhaps you can adjust the input volume level from your amp's master volume.

(A possible last resort is to grab a signal from your amp's headphone output and patch to the back of your iMac via a mini RCA stereo cable).

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

I can't do the mini RCA. I have 2 Apple laptops neither 1 has that input.

Here's a pic of my screen. You can see the midi settings but take notice of the "Recording Level" volume in the bottom right. It stays like that no matter what I do.

Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Wed May 25, 2011 4:54 pm

At the bottom right corner, does it allow you to click a tick in the "Automatic Level Control" box? I'm pretty sure you've already tried this.

Other than that, might pay to have a look at the Apple website (Garageband section) and see if someone else has encountered your problem with laptops.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

or

https://discussions.apple.com/community ... goryID=127

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 pm

At the bottom right corner, does it allow you to click a tick in the "Automatic Level Control" box? I'm pretty sure you've already tried this.
Tried that didn't work. Got to be something simple that I'm not doing right. Thanks for those links!
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Rollo

Post by Rollo » Wed May 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Please post back when you find the fix.

It seems other Garageband users have also been having trouble with the USB channel even for mics and keyboards.

dropd

Post by dropd » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Haven't used my Vyper 75 to record in a while. Got a new MacBook Pro.
I am now having a very similar issue all of a sudden? My 75 used to record great when setting inputs and outputs?
The picture I threw up earlier in this post was at work using 06 for the screenshot but when I tested to see if I could help out on my home computer I am having the same issue.

**Differences since my last known good trouble free recordings with the 75.
1. Upgraded Vyper to 1.70 from 1.53. (all else is well)
2. Mac OS now 10.6.7 as opposed to 10.5.8 (Leopard)
3. And, upgraded Garageband to 11"

This will take a bit of research and I may call Apple about it under my Applecare.
If I have time in the next few days and the energy, I will check this out.
Also, if someone else can post any solution that would be great.