Vypyr 75 USB to Mac Garageband?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dropd

Re: Vypyr 75 USB to Mac Garageband?

Post by dropd » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Well I got around to checking out recording USB out of the Vyper 75 and GB11 again today. This time, it worked?
I did nothing different? Both prefs were set in System Prefs and GB prefs as- input/Vyper and output/built in Output.
I put the monitor on Mono 1 (Vyper Audio) and made sure the monitor was on.
I had my Vyper 75 turned all the way down as the input volume is not controlled via the amp but in GB's track volume and master track volume.
Here is a screenshot of previous tracks done last year and one track added today for testing.

Did you ever get it recording?

Also, on bottom right, it appears the "Automatic Level Control" does not have to be checked nor was mine checked. I got a great input signal on my tracks.

Let us know if you get it working?
Attachments
Vyper75_1.70_GB11.png
Vyper75_1.70_GB11.png (380.3 KiB) Viewed 4802 times

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Sun May 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm still having the same problem. I went to an Apple Store for a One to One showed the guy the picture I posted here and he had no clue how to fix it. I'm wondering if it might be my USB cable? It's strange that my computer picks up the USB cable but it doesn't seem to be picking up any MIDI Status as your picture has it being picked up. Maybe I need to buy a new USB cable. I will call Apple Tech Support on Tuesday to see if I can resolve the problem. I tried registering for the Garageband at GC for this past Saturday but they were booked and I can't make it for next Saturday.
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

dropd

Post by dropd » Mon May 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi,
It may be your cable. However, you are going direct USB. There is no midi variable involved, other than controlling your presets via the midi Sanpera I or II. So, your USB cable may be the culprit.
Also, another thing you may want to try is to dump your Garageband preferences located
here. Hard Drive>Users>The little house icon/Home>Library>Preferences>com.apple.garageband.plist
Just drag the file to the trash.
***Just quit out of Garageband before you do this. You won't hurt anything even if you don't quit GB but you will have to quit and then restart GB to generate a new/refreshed/preference file for Garageband. This may or may not work. You don't need to do anything here as the new pref file will regenerate itself and put itself in the right place automatically when you reboot GB.
You may also want to "repair permissions" on your hard drive in hopes of repairing some funky issue that might be affecting GB.
Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities>DiskUtility>First Aid Tab>Click on the top most icon of your hard drive of the first aid window on your upper left. Hit repair permissions on the bottom, not verify as that's a waste. So, repair permissions may also help. It's just regular mac maintenance. I have worked on Mac's for my job for 11 years and do this stuff all day long. I am not surprised Apple couldn't help you. They can be fairly useless sometimes. You could try this stuff before you try another USB just to see how it goes and if it makes any difference. Good Luck. Happy to help if you need it.
dropd
Attachments
Picture 16.png
Picture 16.png (7.71 KiB) Viewed 4789 times

Output

Post by Output » Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey guys, I made an account cause I'm having trouble with this also but with my Vypyr 30.

I connect the amp to my macbook pro using an aux-aux cable through the record out. I went to System Preferences > Sound and clicked the "Use audio port for" I put in Sound Input. Then I went to Garageband > Preferences > Audio/MIDI and clicked the Audio Input but the only options I see are: Built in Input and System Setting. No Vypyr whatsoever.

What do I do?

Thanks

dropd

Post by dropd » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 am

Hi,
You are using the "line in" on your MacPro correct? Not your headphone jack by mistake?
Easy to mistake because you need super x-ray vision to see the icons as they are so small.
dropd

Output

Post by Output » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes, I changed that, done it a million times. I think i found the problem.

My Garageband isn't letting me create new tracks. It has only one SOFTWARE track which I can't delete, nor record anything on it with the software instruments.

Whenever I try to create a new real instrument track or an electric guitar track. It does nothing.

help me please!

dropd

Post by dropd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:57 pm

What version of GB do you have? What exact OS? What Hardware?

Did you try any of this below?
This is from an earlier post in this thread

Also, another thing you may want to try is to dump your Garageband preferences located
here. Hard Drive>Users>The little house icon/Home>Library>Preferences>com.apple.garageband.plist
Just drag the file to the trash.
***Just quit out of Garageband before you do this. You won't hurt anything even if you don't quit GB but you will have to quit and then restart GB to generate a new/refreshed/preference file for Garageband. This may or may not work. You don't need to do anything here as the new pref file will regenerate itself and put itself in the right place automatically when you reboot GB.
You may also want to "repair permissions" on your hard drive in hopes of repairing some funky issue that might be affecting GB.
Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities>DiskUtility>First Aid Tab>Click on the top most icon of your hard drive of the first aid window on your upper left. Hit repair permissions on the bottom, not verify as that's a waste. So, repair permissions may also help. It's just regular mac maintenance. I have worked on Mac's for my job for 11 years and do this stuff all day long.

If this doesn't help, check your software update Apple Menu>Software Update, to make sure there are no updates for Garageband/iLife.
If so, do the updates. If you do this first, you will still have to repair permissions as described above

10 minutes of your time to do the above steps.
More time to continue for below and more info needed.

If your GB still isn't adding a software track then something is definitely up with GB itself.
As you know, you won't be able to do anything until you resolve this issue in GB itself.

Next step if none of the above worked:
You can create a test account and check to see if you can add a track in that new account in GB? If so, it's account based and we can get into that later. For now try above and let me know.

UPDATE:
This Apple Community thread would suggest others are having the same issue. Of note,
the very last thread says the guy went to the apple store and one of the techies had to reinstall iLife
for him to get it to work. You might have to do this as well even though you may not have gotten your copy of GB via the online App Store. I'm not sure it's restricted to the App store installs. Still-trying the stuff above may help?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/27 ... 0&tstart=0

dropd

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Tried everything you posted above but still have the same problem. Looks like I will have to do what you mentioned in the "update".
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Output

Post by Output » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 pm

I erased the plist file.

As soon as I opened GB I got this:

"Instrument Library is invalid!

The instrument library is invalid. GarageBand expects a valid Instrument Library Folder in /Library/Application Support/Garageband. Please choose a valid instrument library folder or quit and re-install garageband".

I have a 13'' MacBook Pro, I think it's from early 09, I'm not sure. With Snow Leopard's latest update. Garageband '09

Thanks.

dropd

Post by dropd » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:16 am

It really sounds like both of you will have to do a fresh install from your CD's.
Not sure if you have the separate discs for iLife 09 or 11 or the actual computer install
discs for your computer which should also have a disc for applications install/optional installs.
You should never install from someone else's install discs if they don't have the exact machine that you do.
Buy the iLife package for whatever it costs these days. Which of course would bring you to 11.
If either of you have AppleCare I would have them do the install at your local Apple Store and test
that they can add tracks right there in front of you after the install. You'll need your AppleCare number which should be on a box that you should have gotten when you purchased your computers. This should have your number on it.
If you don't have AppleCare, you will have to do this yourself.
Macs are not necessarily friendly about uninstalling things. At least with GB.
You can run your install from the CD ilife .pkg file in and install/replace the current Garageband folder by doing this. This fresh install should replace associated files and folders
However, if you store your already recorded files in the GB folder, you will have to move them out or you will erase them by mistake. To check if you have any recordings in there
go to Hard Drive>Home/Little House thingy>Music>Garageband and drag the files to your desktop.
Also, if you had installed plug-ins they will have to be reinstalled after the fresh install and you will have to have those serial numbers on hand to reinstall or go back to their websites and activate them.
***You should be able to just select that you want to install GB only. You don't have to install all of iLIfe if you don't want to. Plus if you do, you will need to backup your iPhoto library etc....
if during the install it tells you you already have a copy of GB and you get a choice to replace, hit replace.
Then restart your comptuer, repair persmissions and give it a shot.
Good luck let me know how it goes.
dropd

NYStan

Post by NYStan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:43 am

After re-checking everything last night I now believe it's either my USB cable or something in the amp is the problem. The last time I checked if the sound was working I only plugged in my headphones to the amp for a few seconds. This time I kept the headphones plugged in and noticed after plugging in the USB cable and playing the guitar for about 30 - 45 seconds the sound would cut off completely. No matter how much I would play around with the cable when the sound would come back on it only lasted for a few seconds. Can someone recommend a USB cable that can be bought at a Best Buy or a Radio Shack that works with your amp? If this doesn't work then I will call Peavey.
Peavey Vypyr 120
Fender Supersonic 100
Marshall JVM410h
Fender Guitars
ESP Guitars
Ibanez Guitars

Output

Post by Output » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 pm

well, I couldn't re-install GB. Sooo, I started messing around and deleted the default software instrument track. And found this "New Basic Track" button, which let me record thought the line in because it was a real instrument track.

Thanks!

mentis2

Post by mentis2 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:56 am

NYStan wrote:
Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 am
I connected my Vypyr 75 to my Mac computer using the USB so I could do some recording on Gargeband. When I hook everything up I go to Preferences and I see Vypyr Interface connection so I click on it. I don't get any sound or even see any sound levels on the computer. Has anyone had this problem? How can I fix it?
You can't record the audio through a midi port. Stick to figuring out your USB<->USB audio problem. I don't know anything about a Mac.
If you use this GBWhatsApp app, you can create multiple WhatsApp accounts and enjoy some cool features. Most people use this app for using multiple WhatsApp accounts at once.

gboffici

Post by gboffici » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:33 am

Output wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 pm
well, I couldn't re-install GB. Sooo, I started messing around and deleted the default software instrument track. And found this "New Basic Track" button, which let me record thought the line in because it was a real instrument track.

Thanks!
I dont know why but same happend with me when reinstalling that.