Anyone use cm1 live?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Allen

Anyone use cm1 live?

Post by Allen » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 pm

I was drooling over the shure sm86 and then found out Peavey has the cm1... Under 'specialty mics'? It's kind of hidden in the mic page.

Anyway, it seems like a similar product but $50 less expensive. But I can't find one anywhere to hear it in store or anything.

Has anyone been using the cm1 live? Thoughts? I do solo acoustic shows, btw.

How does it stand up to the sm86?

Josjor

Re: Anyone use cm1 live?

Post by Josjor » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 pm

I've used them live. They're good as long as you watch your monitor levels and can eq a bit. They pretty hot in the 1k range and do have a pronounced proximity effect in the low end, as I recall, but a good mic. I've pretty much switched all my mics to Sennheiser e935's, but sometimes if I'm working with one of those breathy acoustic folk people, I'll pull out the CM1. It does a slightly better job with soft dynamics and those that don't eat the mic.

Personally, I use the CM1 at least once a week for voiceover work on my church's radio program. Sounds great with very little eq.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Allen

Re: Anyone use cm1 live?

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks!

I started out in a band where I picked up the habit of eating the mic. I eventually learned that it's a bad habit for acoustic stuff, but I still find myself eating the mic on some songs if I'm not watching myself.

One reason I like Peavey's dynamic mics is because of having less proximity effect compared to some similar mics. I've never had a condenser mic, though.

Of course it could be gas, but I've been really wanting to get something a little higher end than my normally budget conscious mics, and a condenser that works live sounds like it'd be pretty sweet.