CM2 capsule size

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
DanMax

CM2 capsule size

Post by DanMax » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 am

Is the CM2 a large capsule condenser microphone?

The CM1 is apparently a medium capsule.

Does anyone have anything to say about either one?

Who's using them, and for what?

Thanks.

Josjor

Re: CM2 capsule size

Post by Josjor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 pm

I haven't taken time to actually measure the capsules (or look at the spec sheets, for that matter), but they are different mics from each other.

I have some of the CM1's and they're really nice, but I don't use them much. I find them to be perfect for a breathy jazz singer or someone who is a little "meek" in their voice and trying to keep up with a loud rock or country band. They sound great, but can be a bit feedback prone if you're not careful.

I LOVE the CM2 and have used it for everything from mic'ing choirs to overheads on drum sets. The CM2 is in a tie for first place with the PVM480 as my favorite Peavey microphone. They're both underpriced for their performance and they both sound awesome for anything you want to catch and reproduce with as little coloration as possible.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

DanMax

Post by DanMax » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:05 am

Little coloration as possible?

So, cold hearted and referent, adding nothing?

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:25 pm

DanMax wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:05 am
Little coloration as possible?

So, cold hearted and referent, adding nothing?
You say it like it's a bad thing. :lol: To me, it's an excellent thing for what it's designed for.

Let's take use as an instrument mic as an example. The musician spends hundreds and perhaps thousands of dollars on their instrument, be it a guitar or a saxophone or a drum set. Then the musician spends time fine-tuning that instrument to sound exactly the way they like it. The musician then spends countless hours learning how to play that instrument so that it creates just the notes and tonality that the musician desires.

Then the sound engineer puts a mic on it. The engineer has two choices:
1. Put a mic on it that changes the tone and character of the instrument, or
2. Put a mic on it that accurately and faithfully reproduces the tone as precisely as possible, transferring the sound the musician worked so hard to create without any modification.

I like number 2. The CM2 does it wonderfully.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro