Peavey PVM45 for recording a small bass amp

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
Dad Roadie

Peavey PVM45 for recording a small bass amp

Post by Dad Roadie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 am

Hi to all,
Has anyone ever used the Peavey PVM45 to record a small bass amp? I would like to be able to do this and was told that the Shure SM57 was a good economical choice for this application. I also remember hearing somewhere that the Peavey PVM45 and the Shure SM57 had very similar characteristics. Since I have 2 of the PVM45's and do not currently own a Shure of this model I thought I would get some feedback. I also own a Peavey PVM520i If that might be a good choice instead of the 45. Any recommendations would be very welcome!
All the Best!
Dad Roadie

studiodtk5

Re: Peavey PVM45 for recording a small bass amp

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

I have all of the microphones you are asking about.

I have used and compared them all. I wouldn’t use the SM57 for that application. It is a more midrange focused microphone. Lots of times the SM57 is used on the guitar cabinet and snare drum. This can cause some issues when trying to separate the bass and guitar if they both use the same microphone.

I would prefer the PVM520i for the bass cabinet. After that the PVM45 would be my choice. Both of those mics will provide better low end and fuller sound.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...