One of our Shure "in ears" fell in a toilet before the first service Sunday morning

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
khachai44

One of our Shure "in ears" fell in a toilet before the first service Sunday morning

Post by khachai44 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 pm

One of our Shure "in ears" fell in a toilet before the first service Sunday morning. First question when the singer told me what happened and went to hand it to me was: "Before or after?" She assured me it was "before" so I dried it off and tried it. No good. Power led came on but no display. Brought it home, opened it up, and gently used a hair drier on it, then let it sit for a day. Put it back together and installed the batteries, and the display showed. Took it to church and tested it and was happy to see a signal.

colliedogboy1

Re: One of our Shure "in ears" fell in a toilet before the first service Sunday morning

Post by colliedogboy1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm

It's usually the "sit for a day" part that really lets things dry out. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and uses a few ""box" fans scattered around the building to help circulate the cool air. Every fall, he runs these fans through his commercial dish washer to clean them, and then lets them sit out in the sun for a couple of days before he packs them away for the winter. Never has had a problem with any of them. Always allow for lots of drying time for anything electric or electronic. Glad your case turned out well. :)

DanMax

Re: One of our Shure "in ears" fell in a toilet before the first service Sunday morning

Post by DanMax » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I once bought an expensive guitar amp at a pawnshop for $30--because it screeched and howled when plugged in.

I took it home, removed the super-dirty main board, and put it in the sink. Warm water, dish detergent, and light scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Then rinsing.

Then blowing the water out of the crevices with compressed air and board cleaner.

Then set on a towel under a ceiling fan, full blast. All dry.

Put the board back in, and the amp worked perfectly. I'm guessing some of that dirt was magnetized, and caused a short circuit.

The rule about wet electronics is to keep your cool, but get that water out before it corrodes things. A microphone is more delicate than a box fan.

Be sure never to blow compressed air at a ribbon mike's ribbon, or directly against a wet paper speaker cone.