RAC1 & RAB1 large ribbon microphones

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
DanMax

RAC1 & RAB1 large ribbon microphones

Post by DanMax » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 pm

I'm interested in a ribbon microphone to record strings (violin, viola, cello, string bass).

I have an MXL microphone from a pawn shop, but it's not sensitive enough. Too faint. And I can't afford the kind of pre-amp that would boost the sound without adding too much hiss.

I like Peavey condenser and dynamic microphones, and consider them underrated. However, I can't find any reviews of the RAB1 or RAC1 ribbon mikes anywhere.

1) The specs of the two seem identical. Is the shape the only difference between the RAB1 and RAC1?
2) The ribbons are supposed to be "large." Does this make them less faint?

Does anyone have anything to say about either of these microphones?

Thanks.

Dano0369

Re: RAC1 & RAB1 large ribbon microphones

Post by Dano0369 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Hell-o Sir; I have used both on occasion to record with. I have had good results. I was using a crest hp-8 console. the type of preamps you have in your console has a drastic effect on the sound you will get on your recording. what type of console are you using? a 10k mic will sound terrible thru a console with cheap pre's (no name bashing) you've got to have decent quality all the way down the signal chain to get a decent recording. Good Luck :arrow:
Dano0369

DanMax

Post by DanMax » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Dan0369,

Thanks for the reply.

My interest in ribbon microphones is word of mouth, hearing that they pick up the "warmth" of the upper strings. I'm an amateur cellist, among other instruments. I recently purchased an expensive (for me) violin.

But I don't know from ribbon mikes. Condenser and dynamic mikes give you a lot of options.

I have a Peavey Studio Pro M1, and recently got a deal on an M2. Those are large-capsule condenser mikes, and I can't believe how good they sound with cello and string bass. They pick up all the rich, low tones and overtones.

I tried my cheap MXL ribbon mike with several different pre-amps. An ART Tube-MP, several Behringer Xenyx consoles, and finally I went and bought a microphone pre-amp that was supposed to be high end. I'll go up in the attic and find out the model on that. But all wound up with output too faint, or else with hiss.

So are you telling me that ribbon microphones are an expensive proposition all the way around, no matter the make or model? They're all faint, and if you don't have the high-end pre-amps, get used to hiss?

Thanks,
DanMax

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:23 am

The M1 and M2 are really good mics and would be a great choice for strings. The hiss you're speaking of is most likely not from the microphones, but from other gear in your rig, such as the pre-amps/board you're using.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

DanMax

Post by DanMax » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am

Dunno why the MXL's sensitivity is so low. It requires too much amplification, and the background noise comes in as hiss.

Maybe it's defective, or was damaged by a previous owner. Or it isn't a good mike, period. But I don't want to risk too much on another ribbon mike, if they're all like that

Yes, the M1 and M2 are great for strings, especially the lower strings. And I get no hiss when I use those, just with the MXL ribbon microphone.

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, and forget about ribbon mikes, period. Including the RAC1 and RAB1. Is that what you're recommending?

DanMax

Post by DanMax » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I just ordered a RAC1.

So I guess I'll find out for myself.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Any review of what you found out?

I have both and like them. They are great on a guitar cabinet.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...