reference mic/interface choices for RTA's?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
grindboy5150

reference mic/interface choices for RTA's?

Post by grindboy5150 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:19 pm

I've seen a fair amount of threads that mention using Smaart and reference mic's. As someone who is pricing out options, I'm just curious what does everyone use for a reference mic and interface?

I've been looking at the Presonus AudioBox iTwo as an interface, for around $150. They also have a reference mic PRM1 for around $100. And Peavey offers their PVR-2 for around $150, which would pair nicely with my VSX-26's. Of course there are many other choices, ranging up to thousands of dollars, but for someone just starting out, what do you all recommend?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Dookie

Re: reference mic/interface choices for RTA's?

Post by Dookie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:29 am

For basic measurements I use an Alesis IO2 Express with a DBX measurement omni mic. Works great for basic measurements/alignments.
LS801pb 04 HC.JPG
LS801pb 04 HC.JPG (134.02 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
LS801pb Knob on loud , 120 hz crossover point HC.JPG
LS801pb Knob on loud , 120 hz crossover point HC.JPG (182.41 KiB) Viewed 14706 times
Dookie

grindboy5150

Post by grindboy5150 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:23 pm

I found a demo DBX reference mic at Sweetwater for $90 so I'm going to give it a try. Not sure about the interface yet. I'm going to try my buddies PreSonus before I buy one.

Thanks for sharing Dookie.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:23 pm

grindboy5150 wrote:I found a demo DBX reference mic at Sweetwater for $90 so I'm going to give it a try. Not sure about the interface yet. I'm going to try my buddies PreSonus before I buy one.

Thanks for sharing Dookie.
I use SMAART on my Presonus all the time. It gives a curve and shows the corresponding outputs parametric eq at the same time so you can tweak away to get what you want out of the system. Pretty slick. I use it as a starting point and then tweak by ear after that, but it's usually pretty danged close on it's own.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

grindboy5150

Post by grindboy5150 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Josjor wrote:I use SMAART on my Presonus all the time.
I'm referring to a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo interface to hook up to a laptop. Is that what you use too, or are you referring to your StudioLive mixer. I would really like one of those, but that's not in the budget yet. Just wanting to clarify.

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm

grindboy5150 wrote:
Josjor wrote:I use SMAART on my Presonus all the time.
I'm referring to a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo interface to hook up to a laptop. Is that what you use too, or are you referring to your StudioLive mixer. I would really like one of those, but that's not in the budget yet. Just wanting to clarify.
StudioLive mixer and the SMAART software included in the Presonus Universal Control software. I use the Peavey PVR-2 as a mic into that system.
www.yandasmusic.com
Neutiquam Erro

grindboy5150

Post by grindboy5150 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:24 pm

I haven't looked into the Presonus that closely. I didn't know they offered SMAART software in their package. I'll definitely have to dig a little more. Thanks for the info.

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:17 pm

If I remember right the Presonus is just the rta funtion of Smaart not the full FFT? It doesn't compare the Input signal to the Reference Mic and show a graph of the difference?

Doug

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:23 am

Correct. It's main use is as a means to help adjust your eq. It generates pink noise into the system of your choice and overlays the response with the parametric eq so you can adjust and watch the curve change while your doing it.
www.yandasmusic.com
Neutiquam Erro

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Josjor wrote:Correct. It's main use is as a means to help adjust your eq. It generates pink noise into the system of your choice and overlays the response with the parametric eq so you can adjust and watch the curve change while your doing it.
Right. Its just the RTA function. It doesn't have 2 channels or more of input. One that shows the reference and one that shows the mic reading in the room. Comparing them in phase (time) and amplitude showing the difference. It doesn't know the difference between the pink noise coming out the speaker or pink noise reaching the mic from a room reflection. No COH either?
Doug

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:06 am

Correct. I've always done time alignment the old fashioned way, using a dB meter and a tone generator with the same tone coming from each driver.
www.yandasmusic.com
Neutiquam Erro

BranoFabry

Post by BranoFabry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 am

There is a free software call REW (room eq wizard) https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ . This is primarily intended for room acoustics but I have successfully used it for measuring a PA system in the open.

Regarding a microphone, even Behringer ECM8000 is quite good and anything pricier is OK.