Recorded a Cajon Drum today

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
studiodtk5

Recorded a Cajon Drum today

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 pm

So today we were trying out our new Cajon drum. Those are the rums that are basically a box with a hole in the back and a wire behind the front wood to act like a snare.

We tried a few microphones on this one since it is new. Up for trials are the following: Peavey PVM520i, Audio Technica 4033CL, Peavey Studio Pro M2, Sterling ST59, LEWilson Ribbon.

The drum was miked from the rear about 16" behind the hole.

My first thought was the PVM520i. Well, that was wrong. The sound was a bit dead with this instrument. It tend to the low end, no definition for the snare sounds. And it was a bit on the mushy side.

Next we added both the AT4033 and the Studio Pro M2. Thought here was the snare sound needed to come out more so we wanted something with a crisper high end. I may have went straight to the AT4033, but sometimes that microphone is so clean pan and crisp that it can be a bit sterile. So we decided to include the M2 for the same recording. I was right this time about the AT4033. It was nice and crisp and clean, but the body of the instrument just wasn't full and defined. The M2 had good body and enough crisp highs. The drum sounded very good.

Because we had a couple more takes before this part was done, and because the microphone shelf has a few more subjects to be tested, we pulled out the Sterling ST59 and the LEWilson Ribbon. We typically use the ST59 on bass cabinets because it has real full low end and enough highs. The Wilson Ribbon was more of a why not, didn't really expect it to be the one. The ribbon has very smooth round response, but the highs have a soft edge. The M2 was included in this round, since we liked it the first time around. On this drum the ST59 was a bit on the muddy side, overly low rich and not well balanced to the snare high end response. The Ribbon was as expect. It was round with too soft a high to help the snares stand out.

So here it is, with the five microphone trial, the choice without question was the Peavey Studio Pro M2. It had the drum full body with enough high response to let the snares stand out.

If you are recording this instrument, I would recommend a condensor over a dynamic every time. Although we preferred the M2 from all of the microphones, the condensers did respond better to this instrument than the dynamics did.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Josjor

Re: Recorded a Cajon Drum today

Post by Josjor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am

Cajon's are tough. First off you have the percussive attack on the front of the box (where the players hands are hitting) and secondly you have the bass drum type tones from the hole. The only time I mic'd one for a recording I used a Studio Pro M2 on a short stand about a foot from the front and a PVM321 inserted into the back just like a kick drum. I then worked on a blend of the two until I got the tone that I wanted.

I love the M2. I used it this last Saturday to mic an entire 20 member choir. The layout of the stage and the relationship of the risers to the speakers in the installed system are such that I can crank the gain to within an inch of it's life without feedback. This is a community choir and the call me every time they have a gig and they always say "Bring the god mic." They call it the "god mic" because it hears everything. :D
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

studiodtk5

Re: Recorded a Cajon Drum today

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:33 am

Didn't really think about recording the cajon with two microphones. Next time we record it we may fool around with that. I have the PVM520i and an EV ND868 for bass drum microphones.

With the Studio Pro M2 in the rear we were totally happy with the sound. It had the has drum fullness and the snare drum crack. Plus mixing was simple with the one microphone. Next time you have a chance give it a quick go with the M2 at the rear.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...