other microphones or sound sources

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
suhanee

other microphones or sound sources

Post by suhanee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 am

How do I combine video from a camcorder with audio from other microphones or sound sources? I see this all the time, but I just don't know how to do it. For instance, shooting a video of someone playing drums, and combining that with the actual sounds from the microphones (not the camcorder microphone).
Last edited by suhanee on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josjor

Re: other microphones or sound sources

Post by Josjor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:49 am

Do you have a mixer and microphones? If not, then you'll need to get them.

Typically a feed from the sound mixer will be sent to the audio input on the camcorder. Note that many camcorders today don't have an audio input option.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:57 am

Also many camcorders will require a -20 or -30 dB pad. Although if the mixer is only feeding the camcorder, then the level can be adjusted so as not to overload the input.

You will also need an adapter to match the mixer output to the camcorder input.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Another option, which is the way I do it, is to buy one of those hand held stereo recorders (ie Olympus LC10, or similar). Have the guy running the sound give you a stereo mix off the board into the recorder. You have to make sure you have all the adapter cables possible or this won't happen.

Then you add the audio to the video with camera audio in your video editing software. This gives you the ability to add room sound to the sound board audio. It can turn out real nice.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:55 pm

If you're in a static environment, such as a church service, you can record right into a DVD recorder.
Send the video from the camera via a "Video Out" jack, either the yellow RCA jack or an S-Video out jack. Some of the newer units have an HDMI output jack. Whichever type of connection is compatible with both the camera output and the DVD recorder input, use that.
Run the audio from an output jack(s) on the sound mixer into the audio input jacks on the DVD recorder. You may choose to run either mono or stereo from your mixer, depending on how elaborate you want to get. Most recorders have stereo left and right inputs. Most mixers have stereo left and right outputs. To get an actual stereo output from the mixer, you must pan the different channels left and/or right as appropriate.

teleteamster

Post by teleteamster » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:19 pm

IF you can, or if your camera does not have aux audio inputs, I suggest using a piece of software like Final Cut Express or the equivalent for windows. It will allow you to lay in multiple (Audio and Video) tracks separately, sweeten them up with EQ etc., slide them around to get them time phase aligned. (in sync :shock: )

I used a "sound devices" 442 4 track recorder and a small portable mixer to record location tracks. Mostly MS stereo using a Sheops Cardioid and an AKG 414 Fig 8 mic. This is high end stuff but it was broadcast standard for TV and Radio as of 2007. I'm retired now :P

You could use any recorder and input the audio to a computer thru the mic input. Sometimes I used a seperate video camera as an audio only recorder... Motu and a bunch of others make dedicated audio interfaces for computer recording.

Tracking audio for picture is a never ending learning curve and there is more than one way to skin the cat. HtH 8)