Ducking with CEL-2A

This forum is for discussions on the various types of Peavey processors and effects.
thenosboss

Ducking with CEL-2A

Post by thenosboss » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:22 am

I have not used any outboard gear for many years, (been using digital consoles). I do still have 2 x CEL-2A comps....

I have a gig with a DJ and 2 x MCs with wireless mics.... I want to 'duck' the DJ music when the MCs talk..... they could be up to 100 metres from the stage when they want to talk.... so ducking seems the best way to get auto DJ level reduction when mics are used.

Any advice on how to set this up would be handy....

Thanks in advance.... Brad
Brad's Sound Company, Darwin, NT, Australia
8 x QW218, 8 x QW2F, 6 x SP15M
10 x CS4080, 3 x CS3000, 2 x CS2000, 1 x CS800x4, 1 x IPR1600
3 x VSX26, 2 x CEL-2a, 13 x QF131, 2 x PV231
32FX, 24FX, 16FX, Yamaha IM8-32

Dookie

Re: Ducking with CEL-2A

Post by Dookie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:31 am

Brad; Good seeing you here again.
What your looking for is called Side Chain Compression. You'd take the Compressor and run the music though it. Have the music go out a bus, though the compressor and back in via an Aux/Bus etc if there is many music sources. Next take the vocal's and run them though a bus just to have the 2 vocals together as a source and have that bus feed the Side Chain inputs on the back of the CEL-2A. (If it has a side chain input, I don't know). There should be a way to set the compressor to "Side Chain" input. It will now use the Vocal input to determine when compression is added to the music going though the compressor. Have the music going and talk into the mic. Adjust the compressor to duck the music as much as needed to get the job done. Too much sounds odd so keep that in mind.

Google "Side Chain Compression" as there is ton's of information out there.