White substance on knobs

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
pauger

White substance on knobs

Post by pauger » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:23 am

Our museum has a Peavey Messenger Portable Sound System... the one that has two small speakers that attach to the system making it very portable. It never leaves the museum. We took it out to use this weekend and found a white powder-like substance on each slider. It was a bit sticky. We have no idea what it is and if it is safe. Every other switch, button and surface looks completely normal. In the photo, it looks a bit smudged because I thought it was some type of dust and tried to brush it off. No one touches the equipment but me. It's been untouched for about a year.

What is this white stuff?! Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_4543.jpeg
IMG_4543.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1509 times
IMG_4540.jpeg
IMG_4540.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 1509 times
IMG_4541.jpeg
IMG_4541.jpeg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 1509 times

dak

Re: White substance on knobs

Post by dak » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:24 pm

Since the rest of the amp including the other controls is so squeeky-clean (while you say it is a museum piece), my guess is that some cleaning agent did not agree with the particular plastic the sliders are made of. Mildew seems improbable to me exactly because the rest is as clean as that.

Another option can be that in the course of a cleaning action the slider knobs have been pulled off and cleaned separately in some manner disagreeing with them and/or leaving residue: there are no dust rings below the knobs. But maybe the dustfreeness is due to the amp having been in some plastic bag. In that case, some solvent gassing out of the bag might have disagreed with the knobs.