PV6 BT - Best output connection for a powered Sub

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
ChrisMiami

PV6 BT - Best output connection for a powered Sub

Post by ChrisMiami » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:45 am

Sorry if this is a beginner question however I have not been able to find a response here in this form or any other site.
I have the PV6 BT. with 2 Active PA's that I am using the Main Outs. I also have an 18 inch sub that I am looking to have independent control of. It appears that I have 2 options to accomplish this.

1.) Using the "Control Room" and using either A or B and then using L or R..I would then be converting the RCA to either a 1/4 or XLR to the sub.
2.) Using the Headphone Jack and using a 1/4 balanced cable which then would split to L and R and then using either L or R to the Sub.

Are these my only 2 options and if so, which one should I go with and why?
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*********Update******Option 2 appears to not work. It actually lowers the bass on all speakers and not just the sub.

Chris C.
Miami

Bartman

Re: PV6 BT - Best output connection for a powered Sub

Post by Bartman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am

If plugging into the headphone jack "lowers the bass on all speakers", then your cable is probably shorting out either the L or R to ground or to each other. You would need to plug in a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) 1/4" plug to the headphone jack, and the other end splits to two TS (Tip Sleeve) plugs and then plug in only one to the sub's 1/4" unbalanced input jack (assuming it's a powered sub).

Normally, you would use an Aux channel, but this mixer only has main L&R and no aux mixes, so you are limited in what you can do. Does your sub or top speakers have an aux output so you could patch one to the other? Either go into the sub first on one channel, then patch from the sub's aux or parallel or "Thru" output jack to the top speaker input, or go the other way with the top speaker's aux/parallel/"Thru" output jack to the sub's input.

ChrisMiami

Re: PV6 BT - Best output connection for a powered Sub

Post by ChrisMiami » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:54 pm

thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed response. I just notice my previous response did not show up....
I tried your 1st option and it appears to work. I will keep testing it.
Your suggestion is appreciated.