Help with setting up FX2 16

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Modal_Tiger

Help with setting up FX2 16

Post by Modal_Tiger » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 pm

Hello, I bought a fx2 16 channel recently to build my very first home studio. I am very new to mixers and I would very appreciate any help. This will likely be very detailed lengthy as I don't know where I am going wrong with this setup and am desperate to get it to work, so apologies.

I plan on using the usb to computer option of recording and so far all my equipment works except I am having trouble getting the mixer to work. I have it in computer mode, my pc (hp desktop m01-f1014, running windows 10) detects the device both as a microphone and speakers but I can't get any audio to and from. I have tried with my microphone (shure 57) in the first xlr channel and it reads perfectly on the main levels but I can't get any sound on the computer. I have also tried playing audio back from my computer (through 2 krk classic 5's connected to the main balanced XLR outs of the mixer, and headphones plugged directly in the computer. Again, the computer reads the devices are there, but my microphone doesn't work at all during any tests and I can't get any sound out. I have tested the krk 5's and they both work fine when plugged directly into the computer as well as in an audio interface (presonus usb 96, which I don't plan on using in my setup, I am just using it to test my equipment, which all works fine with the 96.) I am using ableton live 10 lite as a DAW, which works fine with the audio interface and equipment I'm using.

What I can't find through any manuals or forums online about the fx2 16 is why it doesn't work. The software version on the digital I/O screen is v1.13. I have not installed or tried to install any kernel updates or firmware updates (I am even unsure of the difference between the two). I have also tried not using the usb to computer connection and instead trying the RCA records outs to a 3.5mm connection on the blue line-in port on the back of my computer. Same as before, the computer recognized the device (this time being the RCA line-in), but still no microphone of speaker capability. I am unsure if any buttons on the mixer itself should be pressed in and I do not know how the aux in and outs work. Pretend like I have never seen a mixer before. I think that about wraps up my problems and equipment, so:

Do I need to update the mixer software? If so, please provide me with a link to the updates and software?
Could it be a problem with my PC? Software, hardware, or otherwise?
Is it a problem with my connections/cables? (again, I have a shure sm57 into the 1st channel microphone xlr port, computer mode on, cable running to pc in a usb slot, balance xlr L&R main outs to volume control (Polsen VCP-2 passive stereo volume control) out via 1/4" to 2(L&R) KRK 5's (which are powered properly and tested properly) balanced 1/4" TRS in.

Did I simply buy the wrong mixer for what I want to do? I understand the fx2 series are older models and may not work with windows 10. Some forum posts I've seen however say otherwise. I just want to record vocals, guitar, bass, and MIDI keyboards with a mixer to a DAW to mix and whatnot. I apologize that I am not very knowledgeable about the process. I don't have any outboard gear like eq or effects or anything yet. I was hoping to not use an audio interface instead of a mixer because having analogue controls and many inputs with a built in mic pre and some effects seemed very appealing for a home studio.

I am very thankful for this forum and the users on it for any help as I have been scratching my head for 12 hours trying to set everything up. I appreciate any help and advice anyone might have. I apologize if anything is unclear, I am willing to provide any clearer explanation whether through photos or videos of my setup/connections.

Once again, my equipment is as follows, as I know this post is huge already and searching back and forth for the specs would be annoying.
FX2 16
HP Desktop m01-f1014 running windows 10
2 KRK classic 5's
Polsen VCP-2 volume control
Shure sm57
Ableton live 10 lite
Presonus audiobox usb96 (once again, not a part of my planned setup, I only used it to test equipment which all works and can properly record vocal and instrument audio to ableton with playback)
I an unsure of the headphones. Just a cheap, over the ear solution with a 3.5mm jack. Shouldn't matter.

Stryker57

Re: Help with setting up FX2 16

Post by Stryker57 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm

had the fx1 series so not sure of the fx2 is the same, but on the fx1 the usb sent the main left and right out not individual channels, so did you have the channel assigned to the main channels and was they main sliders up?

i did home recording and found the clarity of peavey preamps awesome, however on using the fx series as the digital input very lacking if you needed more then 2 channels, i went to a berringer (sorry) xr18 for input/ mixing for the more individual tracking (ability to record a full band live performance ) and use as a pa mixer, peavey does have a new digital mixing board that might do the same , but by the time it came out it was 2 years after my purchase.

Modal_Tiger

Post by Modal_Tiger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:58 pm

thank you very much! I did not have it assigned to the L&R at all. It seems I should probably read the manual more careful before posting next time.

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:29 pm

np the fx series is a great mixer with many options to send different mixes . learning the small details at the beginning is the toughest.

and dont worry its easy to miss that 1 detail and drive yourself nuts .

do not hesitate to ask as many questions here as needed while you learn it.

just remember its been a few years since i ran ours and it was an fx1 so i will be rusty