Peavey PA-900 mixer - Troubleshoot

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
JohnnyNashville

Peavey PA-900 mixer - Troubleshoot

Post by JohnnyNashville » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am

So, I found a Peavey pa-900 a guy is willing to sell me @ $50.. but says it just QUIT-STOPPED WORKING... And hasn't even tried to fix it or look to see what may be wrong... I am wondering since the age of it if it is more probable to be something simple (Fuse, Tube, etc) rather than it just being DEAD AND DONE... To even be worth giving $50 for... I see these things still sell for anywhere from 150-350$ ... So, worth a shot in the dark for something Soo old and heavy!?

Enzo

Re: Peavey PA-900 mixer - Troubleshoot

Post by Enzo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Oh wow, those old guys. Hey, worth $50 for the big knobs alone in my book.

If it is stone cold dead, it will either be something basic, or the absolute worst case would be a failed power transformer. But that is also least likely.

For the same money you could buy something much more up to date and that would perform rings around this. SO if you are mixer shopping, maybe not the item. But if you want a fun project, why not. Even the transformer would be replaceable with something, and the circuits are all pretty basic.

JohnnyNashville

Post by JohnnyNashville » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Really?! $50 would get me something Better? But, yeah I love the nostalgia of things! But, I have just recently began to broaden and widen my equipment. At first I was just interested in Basic Karaoke... But, then I acquired an Power Amp and some large sound for my guitars. But, finally decided to why not go bigger and be able to do more or anything from sound for shows, recording, or whatever .. so I got a drum pad and other stuff , but interested in a Control board/Mixer to incorporate other sounds/instruments as well. Just not sure where to start and not wanting to get something too big or too complex that's gonna take a lifetime to learn or figure out! I even bought a dual mini mixer/turntable board, but needing to upgrade my laptop or get more of one on a high end status!
On the other... So would the Peavey Mixer here be worth maybe fixing and then putting it up for sale?
I just bought a Sony Reel to Reel as well... Just to play with... Came with some reels as well to mess with ... Just dabbling...
So... Have some suggestions for me?? Love to hear them! And thanks for your reply...

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 pm

just remember the wrong equipment at the right price is still the wrong equipment . i learned that here and once i admitted it, its made my life and sound much better and so much easier

GJB17

Post by GJB17 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:15 am

Hi people. I also have one these units... but it has a fault... or two! :-)
Does anyone have a schematic for it please?
Cheers,
Graham
Perth, Australia

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:11 pm

I only have paper copies, and all my paper files are buried in a storage unit elsewhere.

We may be able to help anyway. Interior photo? And what is wrong with the unit?

And worth a email to [email protected]