Peavy "AMR" MCR 4 cassette recording sustem

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
fishline79

Peavy "AMR" MCR 4 cassette recording sustem

Post by fishline79 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I just joined the Forum and am still unsure of how to participate but my topic is about my 1980s era AMR MCR 4 recording system. Considering the format (4 channel on 1/8 inch meaning that each recording head employs only 1/4 of 1/8 inch, or 1/32 of an inch) the resulting quality of the recorded material was nothing short of miraculous! I recorded about 12 songs for my first album on CD format,, in 1990. It was a compilation CD and the other 12 songs were recorded in professional studios on Fostex 16 track on 1/2 inch, meaning the same head size for both machines, but the AMR had only four tracks. All of the songs I recorded used more than 4 tracks, meaning they had to be "ping-ponged" and some had as many as 10 tracks. On the resulting CD, although you can tell the difference, it is surprisingly close and tape noise and crosstalk are virtually undetectable. The point is that it is in need of some refurbishing, which I plan to do, but before I do I wanted to know if there is a vintage collector market for this beautiful unit. I still have the operating instructions and the EBK mounting rack and, of course the "64 mixer" This is a very rare piece and I don't want it to be wasted so I would know if it would be worth the several hundred dollars it would cost to restore it to original working condition. Let me know what you think, especially if there is anybody who would be interested in adding it to their vintage arsenal. Thanks for your indulgence.

Enzo

Re: Peavy "AMR" MCR 4 cassette recording sustem

Post by Enzo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 pm

All I can say is good luck. Do the research. I took a quick look around google and found one on Reverb asking $200 not working. it might even be yours for all I know. Whether they will get it is another tale. I found a couple other old expired listings from ebay or wherever. In my service days, we had a guy who went to homes and did organ repair on site. People think their home organ is really valuable because the wood cabinet is in good shape. Sorry, no one wants them. SOme would need hundreds of dollars in parts and labor. "But I paid $1500 for it." yeah, 30 years ago. The problem I see is unless you find a guy who just really has to have a bunch of cassette decks, the other buyer would be someone who wants to record. And for the same money they can buy a state of the art digital system with software that has unlimited (essentially) tracks - not four - far better audio characteristics.

I have a perfectly functional (last time I turned it on) Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III computer. Has THREE floppy drives, (I bought an extra outboard one for convenience.) ALmost like new. Hate to throw it away, but no one wants it.

VSW

Post by VSW » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Enzo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:05 pm

I have a perfectly functional (last time I turned it on) Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III computer. Has THREE floppy drives, (I bought an extra outboard one for convenience.) ALmost like new. Hate to throw it away, but no one wants it.
I've got a daisy wheel for a TRS-80 printer. :wink:

(Found it in an office I moved into a while back)

I also have (in storage) a pump organ and an upright grand piano. I'd be delighted for someone to take either one, or better yet both.
Vaughan

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:56 am

Reminds me of a friend who found an old "C Melody" saxophone at an auction and tried to get me to buy it. It was in poor shape and they aren't very desirable even in good shape. He pitched me, saying "But you can't get these any more."

"You can't get smallpox anymore either. Doesn't make it desirable." I replied.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:18 pm

I love to hear you guys spar. :)