PV20 has fuzzy output with wireless handheld mics

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
Bgoins01

PV20 has fuzzy output with wireless handheld mics

Post by Bgoins01 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:35 pm

We just purchased a PV20 mixer to replace an older peavey mixer at our church. I have now hooked it up and all wired mic inputs work fine with phantom power on. I also have a GTDaudio G-787 4 channel wireless system hooked up with each channel with its own input via xlr cable. So far when singing into the handheld mics there is a fuzzy output. Is there a conflict with the phantom power and the powered wireless system? I have tried turning up/down the gain for each channel with turning up/down the master volume. How can I correct this?

colliedogboy1

Re: PV20 has fuzzy output with wireless handheld mics

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:34 pm

If your XLR cables are XLR on both ends, no problem here but, on the off-chance that your XLR cable is adapted to 1/4" male where it plugs into your GTD receiver, then you will have problems, possibly serious, because you are connecting an unbalanced 2-conductor wire into a balanced, 3-wire input on your phantom-powered mixer. I couldn't get a clear photo of the rear of your GTD unit, but it looked as if it has both XLR and 1/4" outputs. If you use the 1/4" outputs at all, be sure your cable is 1/4" on both ends.
Other than that, do the mics have an output level control on them? If they are set at maximum output, try reducing the level there and raise the levels at the mixer. If you can get a clear and clean signal from the mic when singing at low volume but a fuzzy signal with loud singing, then maybe the microphone is just being over-driven by the loud levels. I noticed that none of the major music companies sell this brand, so that could be an indicator of product quality that doesn't measure up. No offense.
If you are able to find a solution to your problem, please post back and let us know. We all like to learn new fixes.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:50 pm

I re-visited this issue and found a well-written review by an apparently experienced sound guy who bought some for his church's youth praise band. He reported that his mics did, indeed, come to him with the output levels set to "High" by default. He said he turned down the levels on the mics to minimum and reduced the gains on his mic channels for the four mics and got good results. He also reported that he had to leave the receiver on the stage near the mics because he had issues with "dropout" when the kids bodies came between the mic onstage and the receiver back at the sound booth. That is not a big problem since the GTD receiver has XLR outputs. BTW, he said the mics are well-built and durable. Quite a deal for the $329 price tag.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 pm

It is always best to have the receivers as close to the stage as possible, as the -6 dB inverse square law applies to RF as well as acoustics.

Also it is known that some wireless mic systems will malfunction when phantom power is engaged. Turn off the phantom and see if the problem goes away.

Bgoins01

Post by Bgoins01 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:52 pm

I am using the xlr outputs only on the wireless mic system to xlr input on the PV20. The mics have 0db and 10db settings and I have them on 0db. They worked well with the old peavy mixer with phantom power on. The sound quality is fine if master volume or gain is turned down however the sound is not loud enough with those settings. I unfortunately don't have the option to turn phantom power on and off due to the fact that we also have some wired mics that require phantom power.

jim h

Post by jim h » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 am

First off, I don't believe phantom power has anything to do with it. Almost all modern equipment can be used in conjunction with phantom power. And certainly any wireless mic should be able to work with it.

There are no specifications or links to owner's manuals (that I could find) on their website, so I'm just guessing here.

My guess is, you have a line level signal plugged in to a microphone pre-amplifier and you're clipping the signal in the channel. Do you have a female XLR to male TRS cable? That would lower the pre-amp gain 20-25dB and keep you from clipping the pre-amp.

Are you seeing any clip LED's lighting on the mixer? We sample the signal at three different points in the channel, it shouldn't be able to clip anywhere without some indication.

Bgoins01

Post by Bgoins01 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:35 pm

I am using female xlr to male xlr cables with each of the 4 wireless handheld channels having its on cable instead of using the mixed 1/4 output. I believe I have seen the red clip led light up but I will pay closer attention the next time system is in use.
jim h wrote:First off, I don't believe phantom power has anything to do with it. Almost all modern equipment can be used in conjunction with phantom power. And certainly any wireless mic should be able to work with it.

There are no specifications or links to owner's manuals (that I could find) on their website, so I'm just guessing here.

My guess is, you have a line level signal plugged in to a microphone pre-amplifier and you're clipping the signal in the channel. Do you have a female XLR to male TRS cable? That would lower the pre-amp gain 20-25dB and keep you from clipping the pre-amp.

Are you seeing any clip LED's lighting on the mixer? We sample the signal at three different points in the channel, it shouldn't be able to clip anywhere without some indication.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Glad you posted, Marty. I did not know that the -6dB inverse square law applied to RF. That is a nifty little piece of information to keep in mind.
I nearly always put the receivers by my mixer just because it feels safer to have them near me and out of harm's way. I must begin to approach the setup a little differently from now on.