PV6USB Noise Issue

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
rawlimit

PV6USB Noise Issue

Post by rawlimit » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:42 pm

I just purchased a PV6 USB from ebay. Im using it to record a podcast, which I plan to have 4 mics hooked up.

I tested the board an noticed constant buzz/hum coming from the system. I tried recording audio to my computer and the buz/hum/noise is recorded as well. Which makes it really impossible to record any quality audio. I tried unplugging all input sources and the noise is still there.

It's mainly coming from inputs 3/4 and 5/6. If i turn the gain or clip level all the way up the noise is loud enough to constantly light up the first LED.

Ive tried every outlet in my house with no success. I was wondering if this is a board issue? or maybe a ground issue?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Scott

Josjor

Re: PV6USB Noise Issue

Post by Josjor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:00 am

Are you using a laptop? If so then try and run it on battery power and see if the noise disappears.

If you're using a standard computer the disconnect it from the mixer and see if the noise is still there.

It's very common for the power supplies in computers to induce a buzz/hum into the system.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

rawlimit

Post by rawlimit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah Im using Mac Book Pro... Tried on power and off, still tons of noise plus more noise when actually recording.

I emailed Peavey directly and they were extremely helpful, here is their response:
Hi Scott,
Sounds like IC chips or it got struck by lightning.
Think it's time to upgrade. Anyone have any success with Alesis boards?

jim h

Post by jim h » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:45 am

Scott,

We had a small problem with the first order of PV6USB mixers. It sounds like the problem you may be experiencing. There is a DC/DC converter in the power supply that needs an adjustment. It's only one smt capacitor that needs to either be changed or one can be added in parallel with the existing part. Any Peavey service center should know about this.

We thought we had them all modified, but I guess a few escaped.

If you don't have any luck, PM me here.

Jim

Skadman

Post by Skadman » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:18 am

I have a similar noise issue. I just purchased my PV 6 second hand, perhaps the seller couldn’t find a solution to the problem, and decided the best rout was to pass it off to someone else. I suspect that I have one of the older power supplies that has gone bad. Is there any way to verify if my power supply is one of the bad ones. No warranty in my case, but I need to get this fixed so I can move on with my life. I am in British Columbia Canada.